PDA

View Full Version : New member, new MM16 and a Zambus question

George B. Tracy
05-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Hello fellowwoodworkers.

I've just joined the sight and discovered the Creeks' existance while searching for a new bandsaw. As it were there are a "few" good threads on bandsaws.

I've owned the "baby" 10 1/2" Inca since 1990 and it was a terrific preformer but with only 6" resaw capacity a wee bit limiting. Searching for a true resaw bandsaw I found sawmillcreek- and a load of information.

This AM I discovered the Zambus AC300S castor thread and ordered four for moving my new MM16 purchase as I realized very quickly that the "Johnson bar" and my floor make it vitually impossible for me to move alone and a challenge even with the aid of another-

I'm really glad I did as yesterday I was contemplating getting a custom base made by HTC for about $288-

For any who have this set-up on your MM16/MM20 I would be interested in your methods for how you installed/raised your BS to fit the castors

From the picture of the castors it is unclear to me how the castors are attached to the base. Can someone explain how it's done?

From what i read I was unclear as to the "12mm stem" is there a stem on the castor? or is this using part of the existing leveling pad?

I had to include a pic of my newest:

Mike Heidrick
05-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Here was a post I made in the other forum - cut and paste from that thread. Feel free to go there and search on my user name there - BloomingtonMike - and casters in the last year and you will find the thread. The Great Lakes Casters are just like the zambus and 1/3rd the price. Sorry you did not find us before ordering the Zambus. GLC even gives a Woodnet discount of 15% so it is way under $50 for them shipped for the four of them.
-------------------------------------------------

They are on already. Just got done installing them. Followed Mark's advice from the MM users group about using the Johnson bar just behind the lift hole in the brake to raise it high enough to get the riser block/boards under the front of the saw. Once it was high enough I could bolt the front casters on. After the front two were done I just slowly pivoted the saw around on the blocks to raise the rear. The threads in the MM20 leveling holes were perfect for the bolts that came with the GLC casters.

The only issues I had was on my fourth caster I did not have it attached correctly (bolt was sitting on mounting plate of caster and not bolted to caster. When I lowered the saw onto the four casters one corner was soft. I quickly found the problem and got it back up on the blocks - big PIA. If you mount these make sure all four are fully attached.

Took me about 40 minutes even with the 4th caster redo. May be more difficult with another brand saw unless you can easily lift the saw to mount the casters. The johnson bar setup of the MM mobility kit really helped.

These casters work very well - almost too well - as I really know where the unlevel places are in my shop now. Can't believe they move this 750lb saw around like they do! Super nice. Need to just start using the level feet to keep the saw in place.

Here are the casters I ordered:
Great Lakes Leveling casters LV-1710-NYP-S-M12 (http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262)

Mike Heidrick
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Also, is it a new MM16? Some members reported issues with the Zambus and older MM16s.

The threaded rod that comes with the GLC and I assume Zambus set will bolt right thrugh the threaded plate in the MM and into the caster.

Chris Robertson
05-14-2008, 1:45 PM
I've got the 2004 MM16. I installed 4 GL casters last month. I tipped the MM16 on it's side, supported by a bar stool, and installed the casters using the stock leveling bolts as the stems. I then fully engaged the rubber stops on those two casters, and tipped the machine on the other side.

My shop is my garage full of equipment, so the Johnson bar was getting in the way when making 180+ degree turns to move the bandsaw around.

The overall height increased by 2 inches, which is good for me because the table top now clears my incra positioner on my tablesaw which sits right next to it.

The negative is that now the bandsaw it somewhat tipsy. I can sway it about 1/4 inch in each direction with force. Before it was rock solid on the ground, which I really liked. I need to move the bandsaw for some cuts. If I ever find the sweet spot in my garage for the MM16, I'll probably eventually take the casters off.

Jeff Wright
05-14-2008, 2:14 PM
I put zambus casters on my MM20, but the pre-threaded holes in the base have the same thread size as the MM16. The shafts that come with the zambus casters have the right threads to fit the base holes in the bandsaw. To install, I simply raised one end up and set it on a couple 2x4s, installed the pair of casters, then set the saw onto the casters. I then raised the other end and did the same thing. I did it with no help, and if I recall correctly I just lifted the saw up without any mechanical help. The MM20 is 800 pounds. I don't experience any wobbling like the other poster mentioned. If I did, I would not use them. You definitely don't want a MM bandsaw taking a spill in your shop!

George B. Tracy
05-15-2008, 7:53 AM
Thanks for the replies-my MM16 is fresh from the trade show in Hartford on May 3 with a 2007 manufacture date. Thanks to the circumstances of my search I originally thought I could get along with the E16 then I decided I'd go whole hog and order the S45N and gain a couple of additional features-but when I learned that there would be a discount at the show plus it would save me shipping/coordinating delivery I jumped on getting the MM16.
I was concerned about hauling the BS all my stuff goes up a set of 8 stairs then down through a hatchway with 5 stairs- I've moved a lot of stuff this way for the past 16 years. So at the show I removed the motor for 50lbs, the table top for 60lbs and the fence for another 20lbs- I learned after the fact that I really should have removed the 2 bolts that support the trunnion not the 4 bolts/nuts that attach the table to the trunnion. I did however get a good education in leveling my table and the "ductile" nature of cast iron.
So all looks good-Zambus is based in NJ so I should have them in another day or so and I'll truly have the "mobility".

George B. Tracy
05-15-2008, 6:15 PM
Got the casters today and had to see what they'd do. They are definitely mobile glides about and finds all the low spots on my lumpy concrete floor.
Measured the table before and after 34 3/4" up to 37 3/4"-I like the additional height. Couldn't find any 2by's so I used a bunch of plywood scrap-worked well as I was concerned about tipping do this as a one man show-after carrying this thing into my basement it tilts a lot easier than it lifts. I took a couple of pictures of the supports for anybody in the future for "castor how too" if it already about well sooory. As an afterthought-- now I've got to worry about where to keep my Johnson.

Bruce Page
05-15-2008, 9:29 PM
looks good George.

Glenn Shotwell
07-12-2008, 12:07 PM
GLC even gives a Woodnet discount of 15% so it is way under $50 for them shipped for the four of them.

How do you go about getting the 15% off? Also you say 750lbs saw, is yours an MM20. Just curious cuz mine is, and I'm wondering about the load on GLC caster over the Zambus.

Is the extra cost of the Zambus worth it in comparison to the Great Lakes casters?

Cary Swoveland
07-12-2008, 1:49 PM
Two other options for those considering a mobile base for a bandsaw:

- a conventional mobile base, such as those made by HTC;
- General's Hoverpad (if your floor is smooth enough -- see video at http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/10824_929.html)

I used the first option. By bolting my MM16 to an oversize piece of 3/4" ply and then bolting the ply to a mobile base, I have a wide, stable base for the saw. Care must be taken to avoid having the bottom of the door blocked from opening by bolt heads or the side of the mobile base.

General has two sizes of Hoverpads. The smaller, part 10-824, 18" x 24", $165, capacity 600 lbs., should work well for the 530 lb. MM16. The larger, part 10-929, 29" x 29" $265) has a capacity of 1200 lbs. The product was in development for quite a long time, but I understand it became available for sale a few months ago.

Cary

Jerry Kim
08-07-2008, 8:08 AM
Interesting thread over at woodnet regarding the same casters on a jet jointer planer.

The Jet machine is 500 pounds - I'd be interested in what you guys think about having a simple weld joint supporting all that weight.

Mike Heidrick
08-07-2008, 8:12 AM
Good Welds are stronger than the metal they are welding typically. Typically you will break the metal around the weld before the weld itself.