PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a vise ??

Ron Franssen
05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi all,
I am looking for some advise. I'm in the process of building a traditional woodworking bench and recently purchased a shop fox tail vise for the right end of the bench.

Mounting the vise seems straight forward enough, but I was wondering if I should mortise the bottom side of the bench top such that the top of the vise's jaw will be flush with the top of the bench? Any suggestions?

Also, should the end of the bench top be mortised such that the vise's inner jaw is set flush with the end of the bench?

thanks for the input

George B. Tracy
05-15-2008, 2:32 PM
I don't know if you've seen/heard of this book by Scott Landis-The Workbench Book.
I recently decided I needed a new bench and poured through and compared all the "options" as the book offers numerous solutions to building, styling and mounting hardware.
In an abbreviated response to you- yes you could mortise it into the bench-thus protecting the stock from metal contact and you could also flush the sides if you wish to clamp something along it's edge. Both would be choices based on what you want to do.
If you haven't seen the book-its published by Tanton press and now I realize I've had it since 1989--good luck you'll love your new bench I do.