PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 612 Instruction Manual

Homer Faucett
05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Does anyone have an instruction manual for the Woodmaster 612? I just picked one up, and Woodmaster Tools no longer carries the instruction manual for this model (per my telephone call to them this morning). I was hoping to find someone kind enough to scan in a set for me.

All the best.

Joe Von Kaenel
05-14-2008, 3:13 PM
Homer,

Can you tell me more about the 612 ? Is it a planer/Molder ?How wide of material does it accept? How many HP etc. If it is similar to the 712 I may be able to help. Let me know.

Joe

Homer Faucett
05-14-2008, 3:43 PM
The 612 is the precurser to the 712, from what I can tell. It's being delivered to me tomorrow, but below is a picture of the beast. It is a 12" jointer/planer/molder/sander with a 5 horse Leeson motor, which tells me that there may be some tricks to setting it up properly and converting it over (although it looks like there is no table flipping, just "joint" over the cutter head and plane under it).

From my understanding, there is no stock dust collection, so I will be rigging up some sort of dust chute for this.

Chuck Saunders
05-14-2008, 4:38 PM
Hi Homer,
I have a 612. I will look for the manual tonight and see what I can get for you. I can tell you that the planer is a simple machine and everything is pretty much self evident. Unfortunately, for that reason I may not have the manual as I have had the planer for 25 years. I did swap the cutterhead for the new style with the taper shafts. (got it free from the factory after the old cutterhead threw a knife because the gib bolts were grade 5 and the marking nibs dug into the wall of the slot causing the blade to come out) I would almost state the new cutterhead is a requirement if you are going to be changing from planer to shaper and don't want to spend all day removing bearings. Other than that I think that it is a good solid machine at a reasonable price.

Homer Faucett
05-14-2008, 4:43 PM
Hi Homer,
I have a 612. I will look for the manual tonight and see what I can get for you. I can tell you that the planer is a simple machine and everything is pretty much self evident. Unfortunately, for that reason I may not have the manual as I have had the planer for 25 years. I did swap the cutterhead for the new style with the taper shafts. (got it free from the factory after the old cutterhead threw a knife because the gib bolts were grade 5 and the marking nibs dug into the wall of the slot causing the blade to come out) I would almost state the new cutterhead is a requirement if you are going to be changing from planer to shaper and don't want to spend all day removing bearings. Other than that I think that it is a good solid machine at a reasonable price.

Thanks, Chuck. Do the cutter heads for the 712 fit the 612? If this turns out to be a reasonable Jointer and Planer, I might be interested in getting a shelix head for it.

Larry Browning
05-14-2008, 5:03 PM
I also have the Woodmaster 612. I think that Woodmaster sold the rights to the 612 to another company called RBI Industries. As it turns out They have the manual for this baby online here http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/Resources/612_Woodplaner_Manual.pdf

Isn't this forum great!!!!!

BTW I made my own dust collection hood for mine out of a HVAC floor vent. I will post a picture if you would like.

Homer Faucett
05-14-2008, 5:10 PM
I also have the Woodmaster 612. I think that Woodmaster sold the rights to the 612 to another company called RBI Industries. As it turns out They have the manual for this baby online here http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/Resources/612_Woodplaner_Manual.pdf

Isn't this forum great!!!!!

BTW I made my own dust collection hood for mine out of a HVAC floor vent. I will post a picture if you would like.

Larry, you're the best! I'd love to see your dust collection hood. Man, you really came through for me . . . and now I have some hope that I can maybe get parts for this bad boy.

Larry Browning
05-14-2008, 5:28 PM
Homer,
The one I have was my fathers. I found the original sales receipt fro 1976. He paid over $1600 for it way back then!
I was able to order some replacement parts from RBI such as the feed rollers and some other stuff. I talked to a guy there that was very helpful.
I really like mine, except that the knives are very hard to get set perfectly. And I really don't understand how to change out the planer head for the molder head in less than a couple of hours.:mad:
But this thing is a beast!! Very heavy duty. I don't have the jointer attachment like is installed on yours. But I don't need it either.

I'll try to take a picture or 2 for you tonight.

Larry Browning
05-14-2008, 8:07 PM
Homer,
Here are some pictures of my dust hood on my 612

Brian Kirby
05-14-2008, 9:48 PM
RBI began manufactturing in 1929 for Belsaw. They made all of their planers until 1980 when RBI went to the universal planer and Belsaw declined to market it. RBI cut ties and marketed it themselves. It appears they also made planers for Woodmasters as I saw a photo of one and it's a duplicate of RBI's. Some of the parts are still available at Hawk Tools known for their 2,000 dollar scrool saws. I have the 612T with a 3HP 220V Leeson motor. I made some modifications ( Saftey Switch and Dust Collection) you might find interesting and I will upload some pictures tomorrow. Brian

Chuck Saunders
05-15-2008, 8:26 AM
Thanks Larry, now I know where a copy of my manual is ;)

Brian Kirby
05-16-2008, 9:47 AM
First time posting pictures so bare with me on this. I found the power switch to be very difficult to turn off and on and upgraded to a paddle switch from grizzly (H8243) very easy mod use the original box. For dust collection I went with the Mini big Gulp from Peachtree. I have not been able to test it yet, but wanted something I could use overhead and not be in the way when planing. If anyone has any other ideas please share them with the rest of us as parts are difficult to come by and expensive. Has anyone ordered blades for this? I know RBI has then for 90.00 a set someone surely can make then cheaper. Has someone bought blades from somewhere else and used them with sucess? If you have any questions on my mods just PM me. Sorry the files where to big and had to zip them. Thanks Brian

Homer Faucett
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
First time posting pictures so bare with me on this. I found the power switch to be very difficult to turn off and on and upgraded to a paddle switch from grizzly (H8243) very easy mod use the original box. For dust collection I went with the Mini big Gulp from Peachtree. I have not been able to test it yet, but wanted something I could use overhead and not be in the way when planing. If anyone has any other ideas please share them with the rest of us as parts are difficult to come by and expensive. Has anyone ordered blades for this? I know RBI has then for 90.00 a set someone surely can make then cheaper. Has someone bought blades from somewhere else and used them with sucess? If you have any questions on my mods just PM me. Sorry the files where to big and had to zip them. Thanks Brian

Nice mods. I'm going to be doing something similar. I am going to check the dimensions on my planer blades to make sure that they fit, but it looks like the blades that woodmaster makes for the 712 will work, and they're $36 per set of 3. http://www.woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=35 That's a lot more reasonable in my book.

Nick DeMarco
05-30-2008, 7:14 AM
Hi,

I've scanned the original Woodmaster Model 612 operators manual. Send me a PM if you'd like me to send it to you.

Best regards,

Nick

David Nelson1
10-28-2010, 2:28 PM

So how did the mini big gulp work. I need to do the same thing. Did the chips come out the front and if not how large of a collection system do you have?

David Nelson1
10-28-2010, 2:33 PM
Homer,
Here are some pictures of my dust hood on my 612

Larry
I like your idea. Can you elaborate on what you used and maybe some dimensions and difficulties you had

Michael Moree
11-22-2010, 8:59 PM
Could you send me a copy of the 612 manual. I have one now and could really use a manual.
If you could send to mmvm52@dishmail.net

Thanks,
Mike Moree

Hi,

I've scanned the original Woodmaster Model 612 operators manual. Send me a PM if you'd like me to send it to you.

Best regards,

Nick

Gary Feldkamp
10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey Nick I to have just bought a W-612 and am in need of a manual. I have a Craftsman 12 inch but I am going to dedicate the W612 to Molding. I was wondering how the dust collection on the top worked as I will need to do something too. Thanks Gary

David Nelson1
10-14-2011, 4:25 AM
Hey Nick I to have just bought a W-612 and am in need of a manual. I have a Craftsman 12 inch but I am going to dedicate the W612 to Molding. I was wondering how the dust collection on the top worked as I will need to do something too. Thanks Gary

I have a manual that I'll scan for you if you provide your email address. How had you planned to use the molding capabilities. with an aux or using the planer head? The reason I'm asking is because parts are hard to come by because this model is not supported by woodmaster any longer and secondly if it has not been "converted over" the quick change feature isn't so quick. I'm cutting bearing flanges out and will need to use a press to remove the shaft bearing because the slip fit pillow bearing are frozen to the shaft.

You an use the planer head for molding it just requires extra weights. Wood master does support the molding profiles. I want to use mine as gang rip/molder so I do need to remove the planer head. Dust collecting with the mini gulp scoop .......... jury is still out on that, need to get it up and running, However I did run a piece of pine threw the dull planer blades and it seemed to collect.

Gary Feldkamp
10-15-2011, 9:03 AM
gfeldkamp@culver.edu

The guy I bought the 612 from said he bought it in the crate, never been used. Missing the 5hp motor, he threw in a 3hp, 1740RPM, less the double pully. It came with the moulder shaft and I planed on using it only. I took off the planer shaft and replaced it with the moulder shaft easily as the grease was still on them. I have a 12 inch Craftsman that uses the same planer knives. I have used the Craftsman for moulding but hate having to take off the planer blades to mould. I am thinking about the on top dust collection for both planer/moulders, dont want to cut the shields if it wont work.
Many thanks
Gary

David Nelson1
10-15-2011, 9:21 AM
File 19 meg and i cant email it can you unzip it if I use winzip. I found a way to reduce it to 14 MB its on its way.

David Nelson1
10-15-2011, 9:28 AM
well that didnt work........ try zipping.

David Nelson1
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I'll have to get back with you a bit later in the day. Seems like I'll have to scan a few pages at a time and Email them seperatly instead of one large PDF file. I'm assuming you wont need the front and back pages or trouble shooting pages. If you do just let me know.

Dave

David Nelson1
10-16-2011, 5:39 PM
Done deal Gary

George Moore
10-18-2011, 4:26 PM
RBI Woodworking bought the rights from RBI Industries and they are located in Kansas. Their phone number is 620-562-3557 and they have the manuals available for the 612.

They also have the parts that remain from RBI for it.

Mine had the wrong blades in it when I got it and Larry was kind enough to measure the blades in his and I ordered the correct blade from this company. They seem to be excellent quality blades and I recommend them.
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/

Hope this helps.
Have a Blessed day.
George Moore

Jeramie Rentfrow
12-17-2021, 11:34 AM
I am looking for a copy of the Woodmaster W-612 manual if anyone has a copy?

Warren Lake
12-17-2021, 1:39 PM
might be the model I have ill check I put a larger radius head and shaft in and doubled up on bearings its the lightest machine I have. It does the job and well but only in short bursts. Id take a manual as well ill check if have a digital PDF and what model mine is.

The manual for that machine is online I just downloaded it and saved it, mine is a 612 same model 5 HP etc

Rick Potter
12-19-2021, 2:45 AM
I also got an RBI from Dad when he died. I sold it along with 21 different cutters. The only time I used it was when dad and I milled enough red oak crown molding to do my 2300Sq. ft. house 30 years ago.

One thing I remember about the several brands that existed back when he bought it in the late 70's is that the knives are NOT the same on all brands. As I remember some used a head that took corrugated knives for safety. The RBI took plain knives. At least that is the way I remember it.