PDA

View Full Version : French Cleat

Dave Norris
05-14-2008, 8:01 AM
Can someone tell me what a french cleat is and what it would be used for?

Michael McCoy
05-14-2008, 8:06 AM
Tom Hintz has a good story about them. Most of us use them to hang cabinets or other fixtures.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html

Jim Sears
05-14-2008, 8:07 AM
Here is a pretty good little video that explains it.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/French_Cleat_Video.shtml

David Giles
05-14-2008, 9:58 AM
There are two ways of making a French cleat. The classic method rips a 45 degree angle on mating edges. An alternate method rabbets the mating edges.

If the cabinet will be screwed to the wall, the rabbet method provides a little slop to compensate for out of square walls. It is easier to level a run of cabinets. If the cabinets will be moved occasionally (shop walls), the beveled edge holds them tighter against the shop wall. If they are slightly higher, it doesn't matter.

Dave Norris
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
that's kind of what I thought it might be, but I just call it "a board ripped at a 45". Been using those for a while.

Thanks again.

David Giles
05-14-2008, 2:57 PM
that's kind of what I thought it might be, but I just call it "a board ripped at a 45". Been using those for a while.

At least, it wasn't known as a "freedom cleat".

Peter Quinn
05-14-2008, 3:01 PM

Thanks again.

I used to work in the restaurant business. Do you know the difference between a pizza and a stone pie? About $2.40 up charge. How about the difference between meat loaf and Pate de Campagne? That's about $6/pound up charge. Macaroni and cheese vrs Pasta avec sauce Mornay? About $4.50 a plate.

Difference between a french cleat and ripping a board at a 45?

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-14-2008, 3:18 PM
Difference between a french cleat and ripping a board at a 45?

Priceless! :)

Mike SoRelle
05-14-2008, 3:28 PM
Priceless! :)

Oui!

grrr on the short message filter