PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight bowl sander.

Dave Lehnert
05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Any thoughts? Never had a need for one but for $16 may pick one up if I see it in the store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97858

Doug Miller
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
You may get a good one. You may get a bad one. As the old adage says, "buyer beware."

Doug

Scott Hubl
05-14-2008, 12:01 AM
I have the Sorby one and like it.

I also bought HF's angle headed drill for Power Sanding.
Works GREAT and goes on Sale alot too.
I think @ $19.99? I use the heck out of it and it just keeps going and going, if it ever dies, I'd buy another.

I do blow it out with compressed air.

As far as that 2" adjustable bowl sander, can't beat the price of $15.99, Try it out.

Bob Hallowell
05-14-2008, 7:48 AM
I have own'ed 2 from woodcraft the loked like those. I would never buy another at any price as they only last a for a few bowls. Spend the extra $13 and buy on of Randy's. It's on my list of tools to buy.

Bob

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

Dave Lehnert
05-14-2008, 3:39 PM
I have own'ed 2 from woodcraft the loked like those. I would never buy another at any price as they only last a for a few bowls. Spend the extra $13 and buy on of Randy's. It's on my list of tools to buy.

Bob

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

Thanks, I will check it out.

robert hainstock
05-14-2008, 4:08 PM
If it has metal to metal bearings, do not buy it. I have the PSI sander, ($39.95) and it has ball bearings, (two) and keeps on working and working and working. The Sorby and others have steel on brass, and quickly wear out. :eek::)
Bob

Geoff Hanha
05-14-2008, 4:17 PM
On a personel note i have never understood the need to powersand with drill or someform of power, or even a pasive sander like the one you show in the link, if you learn to use the tools and you keep real sharpeedges on them as you should then its as easy to do the sanding by hand, on some woods it can get a little warm on the fingers i genrally use a small bit of rubber mat (floor rubber mate) that i put down on my workshop and just wrap a bit of grit around that, if you sand to much then yyou loos the crisp detail you want to retain, and if you have to really sand with a power sander then i don't think you have learnt how to use the tools. It would be more benifit to learn that you use one grit to get rid of the marks left from the last grit and so on. We buy to many tools for the sake of it, and im just as bad:D Geoff

Ben Gastfriend
05-14-2008, 8:38 PM
I also bought HF's angle headed drill for Power Sanding.
Works GREAT and goes on Sale alot too.
I think @ $19.99? I use the heck out of it and it just keeps going and going, if it ever dies, I'd buy another.

Me too. I use it and love it. I bought CSUSA's holder and H/L discs.

Dave Lehnert
05-14-2008, 8:56 PM
On a personel note i have never understood the need to powersand with drill or someform of power, or even a pasive sander like the one you show in the link, if you learn to use the tools and you keep real sharpeedges on them as you should then its as easy to do the sanding by hand, on some woods it can get a little warm on the fingers i genrally use a small bit of rubber mat (floor rubber mate) that i put down on my workshop and just wrap a bit of grit around that, if you sand to much then yyou loos the crisp detail you want to retain, and if you have to really sand with a power sander then i don't think you have learnt how to use the tools. It would be more benifit to learn that you use one grit to get rid of the marks left from the last grit and so on. We buy to many tools for the sake of it, and im just as bad:D Geoff

The only problem with that is the part you say "If you learn to use your tools" I am a turn then use $10 worth of sandpaper to get the shape you need type of woodworker. LOL!!!!

Jon Lanier
05-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I vote for monster. Randy has bearings in his, will last a much longer. And it has a pretty hum when your doing it right.

Geoff Hanha
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
The only problem with that is the part you say "If you learn to use your tools" I am a turn then use $10 worth of sandpaper to get the shape you need type of woodworker. LOL!!!!

I have no idea of what you mean, does not make much sence to me. geoff

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-15-2008, 8:23 PM
Geoff
He means he gets the shape of whatever he turns by using sandpaper not good sharp tools, he was kidding b. Mitch

Dennis Puskar
05-15-2008, 9:42 PM
I have one I bought from woodcraft and it is metal to metal it has done a good job so far but if it wears out quickly I think I will put Randy on my list since his has bearings.

Dennis