PDA

View Full Version : Another bookshelf

Matt Meiser
05-13-2008, 9:00 PM
My mom showed me a picture of a bookshelf from a magazine that she liked, but it was way too big, and she didn't like the shapes of the sides. So after asking here, looking around the web, and playing in Sketchup, I came up with this.

Its made of poplar and some salvaged maple since it will be painted. It stands about 57" high, is 26" wide, and 12" deep at the base. To make the sides, instead of gluing up panels, then cutting the profile, I cut a 6" wide blank and 3 2" wide blanks. Then I rounded the top edge of each, cut them to length and glued them up using Dominos for alignment which worked beautifully. All the rest of the joinery is pocket hole screws and it is plenty sturdy for its size.

gary Zimmel
05-13-2008, 9:40 PM
Matt

Nice looking shelf. I bet mom will be very happy.

I like the way you made up the sides. I bet it saved a lot of time and made the finished product better...

Good job

After looking again one quick question, Where is all the saw dust..... Pretty clean looking shop....

Tom Veatch
05-13-2008, 9:47 PM
My mom showed me a picture of a bookshelf from a magazine that she liked, but it was way too big, and she didn't like the shapes of the sides. ...

That's interesting! What was it about the magazine picture that she DID like?:D

Matt Meiser
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
After looking again one quick question, Where is all the saw dust..... Pretty clean looking shop....

I just did a major rearranging and cleaning--this job didn't make too much mess.

That's interesting! What was it about the magazine picture that she DID like?:D

Basically the fact that the shelves stepped back. But it had a wavy design that she didn't like. I think this is kind of Shaker-Deco. :D

John Thompson
05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Very clever use of using strip glueing to compliment the down-size of each shelf, Matt. They work in conjunction with each other to give a very pleasing look and visual affect.

In other words... it looks really good. I don't dare let my lovely see it as she would envision some dividers to separate scans of crochet yarn. I have an in-basket full now.. but I suppose it keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Well done with the construction with an additional feather in the cap for adapting the design to meet your needs.

Regards...

Sarge..

J. Z. Guest
05-14-2008, 7:10 AM
Pretty cool Matt. Way to use your ingenuity! Those curves make it look very Art Deco.

Walt Caza
05-14-2008, 9:11 AM
Hi Matt,
Cool approach with shaping the strips before glue-up!
Another nice looking bookshelf...great work.
What a nice way to treat your mother.
take care,
Walt
:)

Jim Becker
05-14-2008, 10:25 AM
You're really cranking the projects out, Matt...I remember when you were "downsizing" your woodworking... LOL :D

Anyway, this is yet another winner from your shop. Very nice. Very nice!

Matt Meiser
05-14-2008, 11:24 AM
You're really cranking the projects out, Matt...I remember when you were "downsizing" your woodworking... LOL

You know, funny thing about that...
I remember that too. Doing that had a big psychological effect on me. With my downsized shop, I have room to do other stuff if I want--I did a number of welding projects, and actually my next project or two will be metal projects. So I'm not "trapped" by having to do a woodworking project or feeling guilty because I have a shop jammed full of woodworking equipment (now its jammed full of other stuff too. :rolleyes:) And the result is that I actually am doing more. There's only been one or two things that I got rid of that I wish I hadn't--and nothing major. I do miss having a bigger jointer, but not the space it took up. I might fix that with a combo machine if my bonus warrants it in June.