PDA

View Full Version : sliding compound miter saw, Dewalt

Dennis Puskar
05-13-2008, 8:00 PM
Can anybody tell me anything good or bad about Dewalt's double bevel SCMS ? Model DW718

Dennis

Johnny Fischer
05-13-2008, 8:07 PM
It's expensive to start.
When I got mine I had to fine tune it to true cutting degrees.
It was off by .75 degrees, no big deal.
I then realized it takes alittle getting use to mastering a clean cut when using the slide. If you purchase 1 you'll see what I'm talking about but be patient w/ yourself, you'll get the hang of it.
All in all, I really like mine.

Karl Brogger
05-13-2008, 8:41 PM
I've used the DeWalt, and the Makita. I preffered the Makita, but I also despise DeWalt.

Stephen Edwards
05-13-2008, 9:47 PM
I don't have one but have used several that belonged to friends when helping them with a project. They like theirs just fine and so did I, after it was fine tuned.

I have a dewalt portable planer that has served me well for years. Their cordless drills are the best I've ever used. I've tried several other brands and always go back to dewalt for my drills.........for 20 years now.

Dennis Puskar
05-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys for the info I have a few other saws to look at don't which one I am going to buy.

Dennis

Stephen Edwards
05-14-2008, 5:05 AM
Thanks guys for the info I have a few other saws to look at don't which one I am going to buy.

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

I, too, have been considering buying one of these machines and am in the same boat as you in regards to deciding which one to buy! As I mentioned in an earlier post I've had good luck with dewalt tools. I've also had very good service out of the two makita tools that I own; a 3x21 belt sander and biscuit jointer. I've used the biscuit jointer a LOT for over 12 years and it works as good as new still today.

Please keep us posted on your decision.

Thanks,

Jay Jolliffe
05-14-2008, 5:25 AM
I have the Dewalt 12" cms & the Makita 10" cms. I use the 12" on jobs while the 10" stays in the shop. I like the Makita over the Dewalt. Nicer cut, the laser on the makita is nice once you get it adjusted right. Some people in here say you can get a more accurate cut on the table saw with a good miter fence. After I tuned the cms up it did just as good. The dewalt also weighs more than the Makita & it gets heavy carrying it up stairs.

Per Swenson
05-14-2008, 7:36 AM
Dennis,

Of course this is just a prejudiced opinion...

Scms brands in declining order of purchase.

Festool Kapex, Makita, bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee, Dewalt.

Why the Dewalt last?

I cringe when I realize the marketing dept made these tools Tonka yellow,

so as to close the deal with your spouse.

Per

Prashun Patel
05-14-2008, 8:15 AM
FWW just did a review of 12" SCMS's.

The Makita barely beat out the Bosch. From what I remember, the Makita and Bosch's have run neck and neck for the last couple years. I'd get one of those if you really want a 12" slider.

(IMHO they take up too much space for what they offer).