PDA

View Full Version : Picture Unknown Wood 2

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 7:15 PM
This a picture of unknown wood that I used to turn the bud vase. I think the concensis right now would be that it is willow. Mitch

Geoff Hanha
05-13-2008, 7:42 PM
Its def not Holly, it could be a willow but also looks like an apple the colour and apperance seam much a like on some over here, but im not sure:D did you not ask the people who gave it to you. Geoff..LB

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 7:46 PM
Geoff
I agree it's not holly, it isn't apple, I have an apple orchard for many years , different varieties. Yes I asked the woman what it was and she said cherry. lol She also gave me a bunch of cherry but this isn't cherry. Mitch

Richard Madison
05-13-2008, 8:43 PM
Mitchell,
Can you reduce the brightness so the end grain shows up better and repost the picture?

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 8:53 PM
Richard Madison
Thank you Richard. Mitch

curtis rosche
05-13-2008, 9:12 PM
i think this looks more like a type of maple or poplar, more like poplar, the "smooth bark, thats thick and stringy

Russ Sears
05-13-2008, 9:32 PM
From what part of the world did this originate?
Right now I'm voting for Norway Maple. My second guess is some other kind of maple. Any chance of finding out how the tree branched? Maples branch opposite rather than alternate like most other trees.

Nathan Hawkes
05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Not green enough for poplar. They're pretty much invariably green inside until exposed to UV. ??????

Nathan Hawkes
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Honestly the bark looks identical to an ash in my folks yard, but all the ash I've seen has prominent growth rings visible in the wood.

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Russ Sears
Thanks for your guess Russ. This was grown in Pgh Pa, zone six. Bark looks like some kind of maple but the inside doesn't to me. Mitch

Russ Sears
05-14-2008, 7:17 AM
Mitch, I cut down a Norway in my yard a couple months ago and the cross section looked exactly like your picture. Any chance of seeing some leaves from this tree? Norways would be very common in your area.