PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Dust Control-Will This Help?

Steve King
04-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Still working on the ol cyclone. I am building a workbench that will have;
Router table, Miter saw, Radial arm saw, Mortiser and Grinder.
The problem I have, I can only make one drop from the cyclone to the MS and RAS. I know you never use T-fitting, but that is the only thing that will work.
Do you think the ramp I added to the inside of the T-fitting will help? There will be gates on both sides of the T-fitting, there will only one gate open. My thinking, it would help directing the air flow upward and cut down on the turbulence. Am I over thinking or do you think this will help?
Thanks
Steve

Steve Roxberg
04-06-2004, 11:17 PM
I might be underthinking it, but why not have one flexible hose with quick connects and one gate? You won't be using both machines at the same time.

Mark Mazzo
04-07-2004, 8:49 AM
Steve,

I'm not sure if I'm picturing this correctly or not. You are dropping one run from a main to cover both the RAS ans the MS, and at the end of that drop you plan to put the "T" with the addition of the ramp inside it?

First, I would worry about that ramp staying put inside the duct. More to the point though, could you just use two "Y" fittings in the drop one after another with flex going from one to the MS and from the other to the RAS?

-- Mark

Steve King
04-07-2004, 9:20 AM
The problem is that the T-fitting will be under the workbench. Having to go under the bench to change hoses would be a PITA. Another problem, there is only 48” between the blades of the two saws, so there is not enough room for a wye fitting. The 6” drop will go into the top of the T and the blast gates will be on the left for the MS and on the right for the RAS. I made the ramp out of cardboard (pic) for a template and I will solder the metal ramp into the T-fitting.
Steve

Jim Becker
04-07-2004, 9:38 AM
While tees are generally "poo-poo" for dust collection, there is a different format out there in HVAC land that looks almost like a triangle. I don't remember the name for this particular format but it may be one option that is a little less problematic than the straight tee you're playing with.

Isn't there some way to alter the route of the duct so that you can use normal lateral wyes to branch to these tools...or branch "sooner and higher" to avoid the space problem.?

John Miliunas
04-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Steve, I aren't no inganeir...Heck, can't hardly spell it! :rolleyes: Not an HVAC expert, either. That said, take this with a grain of salt. You already know what the preferred methods would be, but your situation is space challenged. That said, on to your proposal. It appears to me that you're doing what may be considered akin to porting, as in exhaust or intake on an internal combustion engine. Porting is good. Personally, I think what you're trying to do will help. A couple things, though. First, for the "V" type insert: Could you maybe carry through with a bit more of a concave curve, similar in radius to the 6" duct? Secondly, maybe round out the inside corner of the "T", where it's going to the main branch. I believe both would help in the flow as opposed to straight ramps and a harsh inside corner. Just random thoughts, mind you. Sadly, your situation is such that those two particular tools are some of the absolute worse in trying to do dust collection for. I think if you improve it enough to primarily suck up the fine dust coming off either blade, your improvements will be a success. But, after all, the fine dust is the main thing we're after anyway, isn't it? Good luck and I'd be interested in seeing and hearing about the results! :cool:

Steven Wilson
04-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Running an old fluid mechanics course in my head makes me think that the ramp isn't going to help directing flow or reducing turbulence. You might try a fitting called a ramp-T or slant-T, IIRC Oneida and/or Air Handling Systems carries one; kind of like a T fitting with a ramp. However, have you tried a pants wye? They look like a pair of shorts and should be able to make the necessary direction change within your 48".

Steve King
04-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Steven,
The pants wye will do the trick (I think that is what Jim was talking about) I checked with Oneida on the pants wye, but at $75.00 plus S&H, I think I will try to make the ramp on the T-fitting with more of a radius like John suggested and see how it works.
Thanks,
Steve

Bart Leetch
04-07-2004, 12:44 PM
I wish I could see a picture. But when you say you have 48" between blades that seems like a mile of room. I have a catch box behind & to the left side of my RAS with the gate right on it. You can make a fitting using PVC & cutting the holes in the side & using the part you need cut off another fitting & PVC glue & plastic dust from cutting the parts apart glue & build up the joint with the dust & glue & make a custom fitting that will do just what you need for not much money.

Scott Coffelt
04-07-2004, 1:47 PM
I had to put a tee in my system at one point, but the blast gate is prior to it and it supports a 2 1/2 and 4" port. I have absolutely no issues, in fact it is the longest run I have and it can still suck a 2x2x2 piece of hard maple through the system. So as a last resort, I see no reason why you can not do it, its just not the prefered has it will drop the CFM on that run. Also, as mentioned you can get triangle T, check Lowes as I think they are the ones I saw had it.

Lars Thomas
04-07-2004, 2:55 PM
Steve, I suspect we all know Tee's are the enemy of effective dust collection. But I haave a situation similar to yours. I have a T in my duct work (6" pipe). One end of the Tee goes to the planner (12" lunch box style). It sucks all the dust the little planner can put out. So if you see no other way around it, or don’t want to spend the cash on semi-custom fittings, I'd say stick in the Tee and see how it goes.

Thomas Canfield
04-07-2004, 3:41 PM
I have been looking lately for a dust collection system and got information from Larry Adcock at Woodsucker for duct fittings at www.kencraftcompany.com and that might be of some help. They have a "true wye" and cost is not too bad.

There sure seems to be a lot more to the dust collection system than just making a decision and buying one. It makes the older systems look more attractive, but the cyclone systems from Woodsucker and Oneida sure look like the way to go for the long run and removing the dust without air changes to the shop. I am glad to see all the late posts on the different ideas and uses. It has helped me to narrow down my selection. Also, Oneida said yesterday there will be a 15% increase April 16 for what that is worth.

Jack Diemer
04-07-2004, 4:34 PM
You can also get economy wyes at PSI, and special order from Home Depot. (but beware, the HD ones are for ducting and the crimps are all backwards).

Thomas Canfield
04-07-2004, 9:43 PM
I went back to the Kencraft Company site and found the "y" in the picture appears to have 3 male crimped ends which would result in the 2 branches being wrong. It looks like one must really look at the information on the internet before junping since you cannot get your hands and "eyeballs" on the item. Cheap is not always the answer.

Thomas Canfield
04-07-2004, 9:44 PM
After seeing Jack's reply, I went back to the Kencraft Company site and found the "y" in the picture appears to have 3 male crimped ends which would result in the 2 branches being wrong. It looks like one must really look at the information on the internet before junping since you cannot get your hands and "eyeballs" on the item. Cheap is not always the answer.

Ken Garlock
04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
After seeing Jack's reply, I went back to the Kencraft Company site and found the "y" in the picture appears to have 3 male crimped ends which would result in the 2 branches being wrong. It looks like one must really look at the information on the internet before junping since you cannot get your hands and "eyeballs" on the item. Cheap is not always the answer.

Thomas, I don't see your problem regarding the 3 male connectors. Given that the wye will fit inside your piping, the only connection that might be a problem is the up-stream(DC side) which would tend to collect dust since it is against the flow, dust banging into the crevice and becoming lodged therein. That can be cover come with a coat of caulking on the inside where the wye and piping interface. The other two joints you don't care about since they are positioned with the air flow, and not subject to dust flowing into the seam where the pipe intersects the wye.

I am probably missing something here :confused:

Jim Becker
04-08-2004, 2:24 PM
Thomas, I don't see your problem regarding the 3 male connectors. Given that the wye will fit inside your piping, the only connection that might be a problem is the up-stream(DC side) which would tend to collect dust since it is against the flow, dust banging into the crevice and becoming lodged therein. That can be cover come with a coat of caulking on the inside where the wye and piping interface. The other two joints you don't care about since they are positioned with the air flow, and not subject to dust flowing into the seam where the pipe intersects the wye.

Just the opposite, Ken. You want the crimp (male side) on the leg going towards the DC as that fits inside the duct...the exposed edges are away from the air flow and nothing will accumulate. The two sides towards the tools need to be "female", other than if flex is connecting directly to them. The crimps need to be cut off those two for best results.

Ken Garlock
04-08-2004, 4:06 PM
Just the opposite, Ken. You want the crimp (male side) on the leg going towards the DC as that fits inside the duct...the exposed edges are away from the air flow and nothing will accumulate. The two sides towards the tools need to be "female", other than if flex is connecting directly to them. The crimps need to be cut off those two for best results.

OH heck, I don't know what I was thinking :( Of course you are right! I was bass ackward. I had it all pictured so clearly in my mind, but just in reverse. :eek: