PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Tables - Your Best Mods

Roland Chung
05-13-2008, 5:17 PM
I just finished (almost) my DJM / WoodWhisperer / Alan in Little Washington style assembly table. Because I was worried about the wax on the hardboard adversly affecting my waterbased finishes, I used double sided Maple Melamine as the replaceable top sheet.

I followed multiple sets of instructions and found that it wasn't really as hard as I thought that it would be. One technique that I tried and liked was Alan's jig for dadoing the cross pieces.

1) Now that it is just too late, I wish that I had followed another suggestion to insert blocks of mdf into a some of the hollows in order to help support a vise.

2) Another suggestion that I neglected to do was block some of the hollows to make the dog holes stronger - if I added the vise.

3) I want to install T Tracks on the face of the sides in order to attach accessories and fences.

4) I want to be able to temporarily attach the Kreg tracks to gain the pocket screwing capability.

If anyone has pics of any of these ideas or any other mods - please share. At least I can use this one to help make the next generation.

Roland Chung
05-13-2008, 5:19 PM
Here are a few more pics of the assembly table in progress.

Alan Schaffter
05-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Looking good!!!!! Thanks for the nice words and for including me in the same list as DJM!!! :):)

Are you going to try my adjustable legs?

Alan in Little Washington

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P5080003.JPG

Todd Bin
05-14-2008, 9:20 AM
Can you post the link to Alan's thread about the dado idea for the internal supports.

Thanks,

Todd

Jim Becker
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Alan...those legs are awesome. I'm a believer in adjustable height ofr assembly work and that's a great accomodation!

Alan Schaffter
05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Can you post the link to Alan's thread about the dado idea for the internal supports.

Thanks,

Todd

Here is the link to the finished table thread (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/assembly-table-done-w-pics-3063). At the end of the first paragraph is the link to the first thread on the construction.