PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Commercial

Gary
03-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Have any of you seen the new Sears Craftsman commercial on TV? It features a blind woodworker, and although the commercial is of course very brief, it is amazing and inspiring. He is shown working in his shop at the table saw, router, etc., producing a beautiful Armoire by touch. Of course I'm taking the commercial at face value, but have no reason to assume anything has been contrived.

Makes me think I should be able to do a lot more than I do.

Gotta go find a challenge........

Gary

Howard Barlow
03-09-2003, 12:53 AM
I haven't seen it, but it is amazing what blind people can do. It's great when someone with a major "handicap" doesn't let it stop them.

W.C. Turner
03-09-2003, 2:27 AM
Gary,

Actually this isn't a new commercial. Although I've not seen it lately, I first saw it several years ago.

At the end of the commercial, the blind WW'er says, "I like to say, I've lost my sight, not my Vision"!

A very nice Armoire, I might add!

Jim Izat
03-09-2003, 6:50 AM
Every time I se that commercial I wonder how in the world he could do half the operations that I do with sight, not to mention determining how well joints fit, squareness and parallelness of milled parts, grain match, you name it. I'd love to spend a day or two watching him work. I'd bet I'd learn a great deal,

Jim Izat

Rod Peterson
03-09-2003, 12:54 PM
<br>
You guys may not remember, but one of the Ponders was blind. I can't for the life of me remember his name right now, but I think he was in the Tallahassee area.

Tom Sweeney
03-09-2003, 1:05 PM
in a long time. Very inspirational - applies to more than woodworking eh :cool:

Ted Shrader
03-09-2003, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by Rod Peterson
<br>
You guys may not remember, but one of the Ponders was blind. I can't for the life of me remember his name right now, but I think he was in the Tallahassee area.

That Ponder is now on our site. His name is Keith Melick.

I follow threads like this with interest as I am gradually losing my sight due to retinitus pigmentosa. I have NO intention of stopping woodworking.

Regards,

Ted