PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 6X48 - 10in disc sander

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
05-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Good day every one,

I am at the point in my woodworking where I am looking for a combo belt and disc sander. My budget puts me looking at the craftsman 6X48-9, the delta of the same size and the Rikonis at my max. In doing a search of this site, the last comments I could find on the Rikon were from 2006.

Has any one recently used the Rikon 50-120 sander and can comment on it. Like wise, what about comments on the other sanders or comarisons there of. The way my shop is set up, I need the disc facing out with the belt behind it. The Jet 6X48-9 is nice, but will not fit.

Thanks for all the past advice from eveyone.

Richard...

Lance Norris
05-13-2008, 2:01 PM
I need the disc facing out with the belt behind it. The Jet 6X48-9 is nice, but will not fit.

Richard... you say the Jet wont fit? May I ask why? I have the Jet and its not a large machine. The belt can be positioned horizontal or vertical, if that helps. I can supply measurements if you need. Its a fine machine, I highly recommend it.

Michael McCoy
05-13-2008, 2:20 PM
Richard - I have the Rikon and it has been a work horse but if the Jet you are referring to is the one with the closed stand, I imagine dust collection would be better on the Jet. The Rikon DC is OK at best but I do like the machine. However, I can't see where there is much difference in size and the Rikon takes a good bit of real estate on it's on stand plus my home made mobile base.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
05-13-2008, 6:35 PM
Thanks Michael for the vote of approval for the Rikon.

The place I have for it, is on a long workbench, the front right corner. I need the disc in front and the belt to run parallel with the long axis of the bench, on the Jet, the disc is on the side and the belt would be at right angles to the bench and in the horizontal postion would almost hit the back wall.

I just wanted to ask if there are Rikon owners who are satisfied with the machine, I know we all have our favorites.

Thanks again...Richard.

Lance Norris
05-13-2008, 8:00 PM
on the Jet, the disc is on the side and the belt would be at right angles to the bench and in the horizontal postion would almost hit the back wall.

... uh Richard, could you turn the Jet 90 degrees? That would put the disc in front and the belt parallel to the long axis of the bench

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
05-13-2008, 8:17 PM
That might work Lance, what is the distance from the front edge of the disc table to the back edge of the belt bed? Does the top rim of the disc sit above or below the bed of the belt in the horizontal position, like the Rikon does?

Lance Norris
05-14-2008, 11:56 AM
what is the distance from the front edge of the disc table to the back edge of the belt bed?

31"

Does the top rim of the disc sit above or below the bed of the belt in the horizontal position?
I have mine in the vertical position, and cant lower it horizontal because its up against the wall, but it looks like, if lowered to horizontal, the top of the disc would be even with the belt. I also want to mention the 6x48"/9"disc Jet is available as a bench sander/no legs:

In the picture of the Jet at the link below, it appears the disc is above the level of the belt.

http://www.amazon.com/708595-JSG-96-Horsepower-Benchtop-115-Volt/dp/B00064NGSI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1210780460&sr=8-5