PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase, 5 hp., 24" Silver bandsaw advice

Phil Bothwell
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi, I've come across this band saw and was curious to know if anyone has had experience with this Canadian company's tools or this model,SHB 600R, and experience with phase conversion of a 575V motor. The saw is being offered for $1200., is a couple of years old and seems in very good condition. I'd appreciate others' experience and advice on this saw as I planning to drive 91/2 hrs. to see it. I'll also be visiting family though; good excuse for a road trip, family and chasing TOOLS!
Thanks ahead for any help in this matter, Phil

Lance Norris
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Phil... welcome. Regarding the motor, You can use a phase convertor, or if your using this saw in a home shop, replace the motor with a single phase. It should be an easy swap if changing the motor, just make sure the motor you get is the same rpm and direction of rotation. If the shaft is a different diameter, get a pulley that fits with the same diameter. 5 HP is alot of motor, you should be able to get by with a smaller, cheaper motor, but I wouldnt go less than 2hp.

I just re-read your post and saw you stated 575volt. I dont know about a phase convertor for that voltage, I think a motor swap would be easier.

Jamie Buxton
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I've never heard of that company, but the small pic you included sure looks like the ACM/Minimax/Agazzani group of saws made in Italy. They're all pretty similar, and are good saws. Some are sold under private labels, like the ACM saws sold by Laguna in the US. The private-labeled saws often have a made-by tag on them someplace. $1200 for a 24" version in good condition would be a good price, if you could plug it in and use it immediately. But you'll have to add in the cost of converting to single-phase operation, which won't be cheap.

Added later... Nope. I found a web site (http://www.goldenhillinc.com/) which describes that saw. It doesn't tell the country of origin, but the site's home page won't load unless I add a Chinese font pack. So I'd bet this is a Chinese copy of those Italian saws, and the machine quality must be assessed on its own merits.

Brad Shipton
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I've heard many bad things about silver tools. Maybe ok for hobbiest, but it is your typical Chinese stuff. They mostly deal in industrial machines so you might want to do a search on the Woodweb.

I assume you need the size for re-sawing? I believe that one still has the typical roller bearings and not the nice blade guides like a SCM or others. Might not be the best deal, but without knowing what you plan to use it for its hard to say.

Didnt know you could use a phase converter to change from 575V to 220V? The cost of a new 220V, 5hp motor will probably be less than a good converter. I would put on a Baldor.

Brad

Jeff Duncan
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm no electrical authority by any means, but I don't believe a phase converter has any way of converting voltage from 575 to 220 volts. For that I believe you'll need a transformer to step up the power, or a motor rewind. Either way probably be cheaper to swap out the motor for a single phase.

good luck,
JeffD

Brad Shipton
05-13-2008, 3:59 PM
Jeff, I asked an electrical buddy about that, and a transformer would be needed. I agree, swapping motors is the way to go.

Brad

Pete Bradley
05-13-2008, 6:06 PM
It's not a Canadian company. It's a distributor of machines from the far east.

This is not to be confused with the "old iron " Silver Manufacturing company:
http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=751
which was a different company altogether.

For that kind of money, I don't think I'd even consider this one unless I had 575V power.

Pete

Steven Hardy
05-13-2008, 6:42 PM
It's not a Canadian company. It's a distributor of machines from the far east.

This is not to be confused with the "old iron " Silver Manufacturing company:
http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=751
which was a different company altogether.

Pete

Yes...and Chicago Pneumatic IS not made in Chicago...and
Buffalo tools are not made out in the midwest where the buffalo roam.:D:D

Phil Bothwell
05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
:rolleyes: I'd researched the company before posting and was quite aware that it was manufactured in Taiwan but distributed through a Canadian firm and also not associated with the old Silver Manufacturing Co. in Ohio. I was inquiring as to its' level of quality and thanks to some responders, found helpful information. Did brainlock on the voltage though! Cheers, Phil