PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have This Lathe?

Paul Douglass
05-13-2008, 9:26 AM
Does anyone have this lathe, the G0658 model? If how do you like? Doesn't look like there are any bed extensions.

Ralph Lindberg
05-13-2008, 9:53 AM
Paul, I am generally a fan of Grizzly... But this lathe has at least one issue. Note that the "outboard" tool rest is on the wrong side of the lathe.

Bruce Pennell
05-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a lot of Grizzly/ Shop Fox equipment. Their lathes have not gotten a warm welcome. Have seen many reviews that are not favorable. I don't own a Grizzly lathe, just what I've read. Hope it helps....Bruce

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I talked to Griz a few days ago and they are waiting for the boat to arrive, so, I doubt you will find anyone that "has one". I'd call them...don't cost much with the 800# about the extensions.

I have one on order and look forward to delivery, someday. But, I bought a Jet while waiting so now I'll have a couple of mini's!

Doug

Gordon Seto
05-14-2008, 8:55 AM
The tool post is on the right hand side of this G0658 lathe banjo (which is the wrong side).
If you see Brian Brown's post on "My Newest turning tool":
http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=84240 (http://70.169.135.35/attachment.php?attachmentid=88466&d=1210742484)

The tool post is on the left hand side (which is the right side, the preferred side).

Imagine if you are using the G0658, how far away your tool rest support is in this case. I will guarantee you that you know what chattering is with that extra 2" + additional overhang from the tool rest, especially on deeper bowls.

Therefore I don't think Grizzly has done a good job on their home work and know what we woodturners want and need. If this lathe has gone through any field testing, there is no way the tester won't catch this mistake.

Not until Papa Grizzly picks up woodturning as a new hobby along the guitar making, I would stick to their bandsaw and jointer, table saw etc., except lathe.

Paul Douglass
05-14-2008, 9:33 AM
Thank you guys, very constructive and good, info. I had not noticed the tool rest deficiency