PDA

View Full Version : Inlay Templates

Harry Smith2
05-13-2008, 8:24 AM
Does anyone know where I could find inlay templates in the shape of animals. Looking for dog templates and duck templates mostly. Any info would be appreciate it. Thanks.

Stephen Edwards
05-13-2008, 9:37 AM
If I understand the new Terms of Service correctly you would need to become a contributor (costs only $6.00 per year) and post this question in the Woodworkers Classifieds Forum in order for others to answer your question without violating the new TOS. You can read the new policy here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=3&a=15

Anyone else who reads this post, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Duncan Potter
05-13-2008, 9:52 AM
I certainly hope that is not the case. If a simple inquiry about where to find an item is a violation of the TOS then the utility of this forum would be severely compromised, IMO.

I'm sorry I don't have any info for the original poster.

Michael Hammers
05-13-2008, 9:57 AM
Harry,
I would start with a google search of router inlay templates...or woodworking inlay templates.....
You will need a router & an router inlay kit, then if you are clever enough you can take a stock pic of what you want to make a pattern.

Stephen Edwards
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I certainly hope that is not the case. If a simple inquiry about where to find an item is a violation of the TOS then the utility of this forum would be severely compromised, IMO.

I'm sorry I don't have any info for the original poster.

Duncan, I may very well be wrong about this. Hopefully, a moderator will chime in and clarify this new policy for us. Quoting from the announcement it says:

"Requests for pricing on tools, equipment or services including inquiries concerning any commercial or company offerings."

I would take that part about "any commercial or company offerings" to mean that requests about where to find a particular product would now be limited to the Woodworkers Classifieds Forum.

Again, I may be misreading this, but that's what it seems to be saying as I read it.

I'm sure that this will be made clear to us soon by the moderators and administrators.

Mitchell Andrus
05-13-2008, 1:30 PM
Harry, post this Q in the laser section. We can cut plastics, 1/4" ply, etc... Someone will be able to cut - basically a silhouette - out of a piece of scrap for you.

All we'd need is a picture to work from. The really cool thing is... it'd be scaleable and perfectly reproducable.

Chris Padilla
05-13-2008, 2:15 PM
The OP is not asking about anything specific. Where we've had problems of late is someone posting say, a picture of a plane and asking what the collective here what they think it is worth. If that poster is NOT a "Contributor", then we have to remove the post as it could be a way around not being able to post in the Classified ads.

Does this help clarify anything?

The T.O.S. is always a work in progress as new things crop up and we have to add/adjust wordings. Sometimes we Mods just have to make our best guess about the intention of post and act accordingly. On "edgy" posts, we'll move it to the Mod forum, hash it out over a few beers, and then make some decisions and either keep it removed, move it back, edit it, adjust the T.O.S....and then drink more beer.... :D

Ralph Barhorst
05-13-2008, 2:29 PM
I would think that you could go to any hobby or craft store and find lots of thin wood animal figures in various sizes.

Glenn Clabo
05-13-2008, 2:33 PM
Beer...Beer? Did someone say beer? Explicit leuctotem; da mihi potum

Bill Wyko
05-13-2008, 3:40 PM
I've seen books with animal patterns at woodcrafters. Don't know if they have what you're looking for.

Stephen Edwards
05-13-2008, 4:26 PM
The OP is not asking about anything specific. Where we've had problems of late is someone posting say, a picture of a plane and asking what the collective here what they think it is worth. If that poster is NOT a "Contributor", then we have to remove the post as it could be a way around not being able to post in the Classified ads.

Does this help clarify anything?

The T.O.S. is always a work in progress as new things crop up and we have to add/adjust wordings. Sometimes we Mods just have to make our best guess about the intention of post and act accordingly. On "edgy" posts, we'll move it to the Mod forum, hash it out over a few beers, and then make some decisions and either keep it removed, move it back, edit it, adjust the T.O.S....and then drink more beer.... :D

Hey Chris,

So, if a person asks, as Harry did, where they can find a specific product or item, is it OK for the rest of us to refer that person to a specific company whom we know sells the item that they're seeking? In this case, he asked about inlay templates. Can I refer him to a company that sells the templates that he wants without me being in violation of the new TOS? Please advise. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Chris Padilla
05-13-2008, 4:31 PM
Stephen,

That sounds fine to my ears. :) I suppose if you WORKED for that company, that may not be too cool. In a nutshell, we're just trying to make sure people aren't skirting the rules. We won't catch everyone but we try to apply the rules fairly and we try to stay current. It's not an easy job. :)

Matt Ocel
05-13-2008, 5:12 PM
Explicit leuctotem; da mihi potum

I'm not sure but isn't that the name of a XXX movie?;):D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2008, 6:49 PM
Edited to maintain family friendly forum atmosphere.

Joe Pelonio
05-13-2008, 6:52 PM
In many of the forums, people need help finding a source for materials. Like Chris said, if it looks like a plug from a vendor then it will be moved. One member helping another is fine. When asked I try to give more than one source, when possible to give alternatives.

Stephen Edwards
05-13-2008, 7:46 PM
Stephen,

That sounds fine to my ears. :) I suppose if you WORKED for that company, that may not be too cool. In a nutshell, we're just trying to make sure people aren't skirting the rules. We won't catch everyone but we try to apply the rules fairly and we try to stay current. It's not an easy job. :)

Thanks Chris,

I'm sure it isn't an easy job being a moderator. All of your work and efforts are very much appreciated by most folks, I'm sure.

In the few months that I've been a member/contributor it's amazing how much I've learned about woodworking. And I've been butchering wood for nearly 40 years now! The really cool thing is that the more knowledgeable folks are so willing to share their knowledge in detail with others.

Chris Padilla
05-13-2008, 8:28 PM
Edited to maintain family friendly atmosphere.

Uhgh, that's a picture I really didn't want to form in my head....:eek:

Glenn Clabo
05-14-2008, 8:11 AM
I'm not really a fan of 30's movies. ;) I guess I'm not as old as you Fitz.:p