PDA

View Full Version : Getting files

Brian Robison
05-13-2008, 8:01 AM
Hi gurus. I have a sign shop that sends me files to engrave but I'm struggling with them. He's sent them in Photoshop and in .eps but all I get are bitmaps. I don't have Photoshop. Any idea how to fix this? I'd like to get them in a nice vector format.:confused:

Wil Lambert
05-13-2008, 8:35 AM
The eps format will support raster format and vector format. If it was designed in Photoshop it was probably a raster file to begin with. Ask the customer to export the vectors from Photoshop if they have them or you will have to trace the file.

Wi

Daniel Cline
05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Brian,

I noticed you had Corel 12, I have clients send me files in whatever is easiest for me to work with, or I charge extra for the hassles :D

If they are a sign shop they probally can send it to you in CDR if you ask.

Daniel

Brian Robison
05-13-2008, 4:49 PM
I got it in Photo Shop but it was quite pixelated.
Didn't engrave too bad. I needed to do the old removal of
the white box trick though.
I assumed that photo shop would be a vector type file.
That's what I get for assuming!

Scott Shepherd
05-13-2008, 5:30 PM
Photoshop's not a vector program. I know you can export things, but I think Illustrator is the Vector program in the Adobe family.

I could be wrong.

Darren Null
05-13-2008, 6:33 PM
Nope, you're not wrong. Illustrator is the vector thingy. And Flash, but that's for different things.

If memory serves, an EPS from photoshop just gives you your original bitmap wrapped in a rectangular vector container. That has to be removed. You might just as well go with the bitmap, frankly.

I'm surprised that you're not getting vectors from a sign shop too.