PDA

View Full Version : Is Google goofing up or playing games?

Gene Michael
05-12-2008, 11:35 PM
This isn't strictly about woodworking, but is related as I search for tools etc. via Google. Just read Tom Byars' thread about the return of the Craftsman band saw, so thought I'd check it out. Googled it, clicked on the listing and got a message that the Sears site was down, so it reedirected me to Shopzilla. Tried several more Google searches, and each time it took me to a page selling something I wasn't looking for. When I bypassed Google and typed www.sears.com (http://www.sears.com) in the header bar, it took me there instantly. Is anyone else having problems with Google redirecting searches to other sites?

Gregg Feldstone
05-12-2008, 11:39 PM
My Google is good.....just did a search for the saw you mentioned and got losts of good hits right to it.

Tim Byars
05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Don't know if it's related to what you're describing, but I did have trouble getting onto the Sears site this afternoon when I was trying to pull the trigger on the sale...it hung when trying to access the site for quite a while, then after 30 minutes or so seemed to work fine again.

Stephen Beckham
05-13-2008, 7:57 AM
Now that Gene mentions it - I have had the a similar problem. Looking for a specific item, click on a link that supposedly goes to store X and all of sudden a Shopzilla or Amazon or some other online store comes up with another search expected on their site... Seems like it's two or three clicks down that I actually get to the store I wanted.... Hmmm....

Might be time to break out the reserve Tin Foil I've been saving... :D

Lee Schierer
05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
It appears that you have some mal ware acting in your computer redirecting you. Run Spybot and/or Adaware and see if that doesn't clear up the problem. When I google Sears, it takes me directly to the sears site.

Andrew Derhammer
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
You guys are probably hitting the first couple options which are ads and all. go down to the actual search results.

Gene Michael
05-14-2008, 1:01 AM
Lee, I think you ID'd the problem. I have Spybot on the computer. Ran it and found 13 entries by Zlob.DNSChanger. Removed all and will know very quickly if this was the problem. I was under the impression that Spybot kept these types of malware out automatically. Is this incorrect?
Thanks,
Gene

Lee Schierer
05-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Lee, I think you ID'd the problem. I have Spybot on the computer. Ran it and found 13 entries by Zlob.DNSChanger. Removed all and will know very quickly if this was the problem. I was under the impression that Spybot kept these types of malware out automatically. Is this incorrect?
Thanks,
GeneI think it only keeps them out if you immunize your system. Of course new variations may not be covered by the immunization. It is better to run the search from time to time than not.

Stephen Beckham
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
After this mornings story that a couple Google-heads have been taking kickbacks to make sure certain items pop up on searches versus the items that should have popped up...

I'm back to my conspiricy theories that they're out to get us:eek:

Joe Pelonio
12-16-2008, 10:22 PM
'Tis the season for spammers and hackers. . .

Steve Leverich
12-17-2008, 12:42 AM
"'Tis the season for spammers and hackers. . ."

Sooo, what's the bag limit, and do ya hafta KEEP 'em? :mad: Steve

Tim Morton
12-17-2008, 5:53 AM
what is this spyware and malware you speak of????:confused::confused:

mac user for ever:D:D:D

Thomas Knighton
12-17-2008, 6:07 AM
The only issue I run into with Google is their desire to send me to the French version for some odd reason.:confused: All I have been able to successfully do is alter my preferences where it at least appears in English. It's annoying.

Tom

Edited to add that it doesn't happen all the time either, because that would make to much sense.

Jim Becker
12-17-2008, 8:42 AM
Tim, hate to tell you, but the Mac community is starting to get hit and recommendations for anti-whatevers are starting to surface there, too. It was only a matter of time!