PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite bowls

dennis kranz
05-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Two small bowls turned green then put in DNA. Both are 2 inchs tall with one being 5 1/4 the other just under 5 inchs. I finished with a Mylands friction polish. The first bowl will go next door. Came home from work and he was cutting his tree down. Automaticly went into beg mode with a 3 log score.
Dennis

Gregg Feldstone
05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Love your bowls. Is yall's mesquite in Arizona less wormy than Tx mesquite due to the dryness there, or were you just lucky with fresh cut logs?

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Nice bowls Dennis! Love the rich color and finish!

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Great looking bowls Dennis. Well done. I really love turning mesquite and the color.

Dennis Puskar
05-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Those are very nicely done. Nice shape and finish.

Dennis

Robert McGowen
05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Nice bowls Dennis. You might want to try turning mesquite all the way to finished in one session and see how it works for you. About the only green wood that I turn is mesquite. I go all the way from cutting out the blank to putting on the finish in one session and never had any sort of warping or cracking.

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I like these, mesquite is one of my favorite woods.

Bruce Pennell
05-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Dennis very nice bowls. Just have to love the look of mesquite. Greg we get a lot of wormy mesquite here in Arizona, I've turned winged bowls, handles,top's, boxes all out of wormy mesquite, right out of the back yard. I was told by a tree cutter that we have over 50 different type's of mesquite out here. He just brought me 1 1/2 tons of Palo Verde and some iron wood. He stopped by yesterday to tell me he's moving to Las Vegas:(. Made me very sad, have to find a new source for wood.
Robert I agree with you I've done quite a few boxes, some bowls,ect...in mesquite and I go to finish right away with mesquite. After great luck with mesquite not moving I tried two bowl's out of pepper tree, my wifes bowl is very oval now, my daughters bowl hasn't moved at all (they were out of the same log????) I guess its just wood....

Allen Neighbors
05-13-2008, 6:44 PM
Mesquite is a weed tree to ranchers here in NW Texas. I love to tell them that Mesquite is the most stable of all woods. Then they ask me if I need any. :D
Nice bowls, too, BTW.

Chris Padilla
05-13-2008, 9:07 PM
Mesquite rules! I just wish it wasn't so goshdarn expensive! Send some of those weeds West, Allen!

Oh, gorgeous bowls!

Bill Wyko
05-14-2008, 2:28 PM
Wow Dennis. That is a nice piece of Mesquite. I'll have to get on to the other 1/2 of that piece. Nice job. P.S. thanks for the listing on that other thing.;)