PDA

View Full Version : Unknown wood

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Got a load of this wood from a lady close to home. Don't know what it is but it is easy to cut unless the tools are dull then cuts are fuzzy. I used a water based varnish as a sealet and it made the wood look almost white, hard to see the spiraling on the body. This is about 4" high. Mitch

Greg Just
05-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice job - A closeup of the wood or a picture of a log would help.

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks Greg and I will try to remember to post a picture of a small log in the morning, dark and cold, and raining outside right now. Mitch

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Nice job on the vase. Kinda reminds me of holly.

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 1:52 AM
Thanks Bernie. I don't think it is Holly, I am familiar with holly, I think it is willow like you suggested. Mitch

Bob Hallowell
05-13-2008, 8:28 AM
Very nice, but if it's willow it will weigh next to nothing and come from an area that is alittle wet.

Bob

Prashun Patel
05-13-2008, 9:10 AM
Looks like a hosta to me ;)

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Mitchell you do not list your address or the place the wood came from, this info is helpful. The light color of the wood is all I have to go by and I will vote holly. If I knew more about it I might change my mind.

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 5:25 PM
Thanks Bob
I am leaning towards this being willow too Bob. Being a bud vase and only 4"high and not hollowed out this thing is very light. The wet area? I am not sure. Thanks again, Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 5:30 PM
Thanks Shawn. Some guys you just can't stump, no matter how hard you try. Your going to get well Shawn, I promise. Mitch:D

curtis rosche
05-13-2008, 5:35 PM
looks ike its sittin on oak

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 5:38 PM
:oThanks Glen
Correct me if I am wrong, holly is in the evergreen family and is more of a shrub or bush. This is a large tree. I am from Pgh. Pa, western part. I am going to post a picture of a piece of this wood. I would of done this before but never imagined this would draw so much attention from you gentlemen. Thank you one and all. Mitch

Nathan Hawkes
05-13-2008, 5:56 PM
There are definitely holly trees in addition to the smaller bushes, some of which are large, but it is not a huge tree by any stretch. They grow rather slowly; the very largest I've ever seen was about 20", and that split into multiple trunks at about chest height. Holly is VERY white inside, however. Even moreso than the pics seem to suggest.

Geoff Hanha
05-13-2008, 6:13 PM
Holly Can grow as either a single trunked tree or a multi-stemmed slow growing, evergreen tree or shrub, up to 50 feet even 70 feet at times we have a lot of it in a woods close to a friends home. And hard grained wood except at the center, as white as ivory and is valued for turning and inlaying. It stains well, and is used in place of ebony for the black handles of tea-pots, second only to boxwood.
Its a great wood to turn. Geoff

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 6:30 PM
Thanks Nathan. Your experience with holly and mine are identical. I never knew they grew real large anyplace in the world but guess I may be wrong. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 6:36 PM
Thanks for that. I never knew holly to grow that high. You say this holly is hard wood and still an evergreen? Don't understand that buddy. Going to post a picture of a piece of this wood right now. Thanks, Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-13-2008, 7:28 PM
curtis rosche
Sitting on Sycamore Curtis. Thanks Mitch

Jake Helmboldt
05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that. I never knew holly to grow that high. You say this holly is hard wood and still an evergreen? Don't understand that buddy. Going to post a picture of a piece of this wood right now. Thanks, Mitch

Don't confuse coniferous (softwoods) with evergreen. Most conifers are evergreen, but not all, and not all hardwoods are deciduous (dropping their leaves). Without more details there is no telling the species, though holly was my first thought as well. What does the bark look like?

Art kraft
05-14-2008, 9:46 AM
Holly (Ilex Opaca) is a hardwood. If it is really important to identify this wood maybe I can help. A simple way is to dip a small piece in water and take a thin slice with a razor, any sharp cutting tool. Get a 10x lens and look at the end grain. Find TEXTBOOK OF WOOD TECHNOLOGY BY Panshin add De Zeeuw. McGraw Hill pub. I will try to post picture,but needs to be very clear. If you do a piece of Oak you can see how easy it is.