PDA

View Full Version : Importing old Mercury laser settings files

Richard Rumancik
05-12-2008, 6:29 PM
I am trying to load Mercury setting files (.mer files) that were created on a Win98 system into system with an XP driver. The XP driver won't recognize the earlier .mer files. If I attempt to load one, the XP driver just ignores it. Is there a solution to this?

Robert Ray
05-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't have a system that uses .mer files, so I don't know what is different, but I think they are 16 bit files and your XP files are 32 bit files, so probably not compatable.
Have you tried to make a copy of a .mer file and then open it with notepad? Maybe you can see the profile data? Also try and rename it as a .ven file and see if it will load?

When I first got my Venus I used windows 98, so the files created were 16 bit, but they were named .ven files. When I got a new XP computer, I created all new files, because they are 32bit files, but never even tried the older ones to see.

-Robert Ray

Richard Rumancik
05-13-2008, 9:50 AM
If I create a new file it makes a new .mer file, and places it in the history files box. But it won't try to load old files. I did not attempt to look at the files in an editor yet. Was hoping there was an easy way . . .

Kevin Huffman
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Hello Richard,

If you would, send me an email or a PM with your email address. GCC has a saved file converter for the older drivers to work with the newer drivers.
It might work in this case. I have never had anyone request it, so I do not know if it actually works or not. I also do not have a Win 98 machine to try it on either.

Let me know.

Richard Rumancik
05-16-2008, 3:58 PM
Thanks Kevin , I will PM you. I looked at the old .mer settings in Notepad and I see lots of dingbats so I assume it is a binary file. The new .mer files are text files and all the settings are quite readable as normal text.

My laser had been operating on Win98 for several years. I did all my design on another XP computer but decided it was time to retire the Win98 system. A converted would save me some trouble as I have quite a few settings files in my library.

Will let you know if it works for me . . .

Kevin Huffman
05-23-2008, 2:19 PM
Sorry about that, I was out of town on an install.
You should have mail as we speak.

Killor Perez
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Kevin , I will PM you. I looked at the old .mer settings in Notepad and I see lots of dingbats so I assume it is a binary file. The new .mer files are text files and all the settings are quite readable as normal text.

My laser had been operating on Win98 for several years. I did all my design on another XP computer but decided it was time to retire the Win98 system. A converted would save me some trouble as I have quite a few settings files in my library.

Will let you know if it works for me . . .

Hello Richard,
I buy a laser Mercury last day and I try to install the drives on my w98 computer, but only can install on serial port,
Do you now , how to install on LPT port? :confused:
Thank's

Killor

Richard Rumancik
05-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I buy a laser Mercury last day and I try to install the drives on my w98 computer, but only can install on serial port,
Do you now , how to install on LPT port?

Not sure where to start here - is this an older Mercury or a new one? You will need the Win 98 driver and probably older firmware but I can't say which levels you should pick. Last driver I used on Win 98 was 1.74 and last firmware was 2.20-02. If you need these you can try GCC or I can email you my files but use at your own risk.

To install you should just be using the ADD PRINTER function. Select LOCAL PRINTER and uncheck "Auto detect plug and play . . " The next screen should give you a port choice - serial or parallel or whatever. I don't think it is actually looking for functioning ports at this stage (because I don't have 3 parallel ports and 4 serial ports on this computer.) So you should be seeing the same list that I see. If not, tell me more and I will try to help.

What firmware is in the Mercury you have? When you turn it on, it will flash on the screen at the beginning eg Mercury 2.20-02 xxxxxxxx. If you need to update the firmware I can provide information.

Killor Perez
05-31-2008, 5:46 AM
Thank for your help.
Last nigth , I've found the problem, in the configuration of the bios of the computer, was not reflected the LPT port, and also had an IRQ conflict with the soundcard and the LPT port.
Already this fixed.
The firmware is 1.42 since mercury is a machine of 2001 that I bought from 2 nd hand on ebay.
How can I get a more updated firmware?
As the serial number of the machine is not supported by the form
GCC and I do not give privileges to download files.
I have read that pressing the summary and turning the machine this is pending load the new firmware.
but since DOS will not let me run the COPY command xxxx> LPT / 8.
How to submitting the firmaware by the serial port?

Richard Rumancik
05-31-2008, 2:05 PM
Sorry, I don't understand. You said you found the problem with the parallel port. So did you get the parallel port to work? If so, you should use the parallel port to copy the new firmware into the laser. If you can only get the serial port working then I will try to see if I can find the firmware installation procedure for serial.

The parallel port will probably work better/faster if you can get it operating.

You said you bought it used. I would still think GCC would let you have access to the firmware. You could email them or maybe a dealer will adopt you. Where are you located?

Killor Perez
06-02-2008, 5:09 AM
I've been able to solve the problem,
I had deactivated the LPT of the bios and also usually an IRQ conflict.
It is running like a dream.

Thank you very much.