PDA

View Full Version : Reappearance of the Craftsman 14" Bandsaw...

Tim Byars
05-12-2008, 6:04 PM
So, a few weeks ago there was a lot of talk about the 22401 disappearing from the Sears catalog and website and such, and then it was back (at a little higher price, it looks like).

Anybody know if anything has changed? Its the same model number...I'm just wondering if I can count on it being the same thing (that is, very well reviewed and suitable for my short list :) )

John Revilla
05-12-2008, 6:25 PM
I have one and I cannot discern anything new for the most recently posted. Only the price seem not to match. Great bandsaw, though for what it was selling before the increase, not sure if the higher cost will change its reputation. Still an affordable performer, I might add. Godspeed.

Tim Byars
05-12-2008, 6:30 PM
Only the price seem not to match. Great bandsaw, though for what it was selling before the increase, not sure if the higher cost will change its reputation. Still an affordable performer, I might add.

It's on sale right now, $100 off the new $549 price...then on top of that there's also an order-it-online 20% off sale...total price $359. Too low to not give it a shot, I'm thinking.

Ryan Eldridge
05-12-2008, 6:37 PM
Tim,

I have one of the saws and paid around $300 for it. I feel that it is worth that price and then some. I replaced the bearings on it but other than that it is a solid performing saw.

I have resawn some 2x8 timbers into 1x8's with it and it performed extremely well once I put the woodslicer on it.

John Revilla
05-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Wow! That's a great price Tim. You will not regret this purchase. Ryan, what type of bearings did you use? I heard that the stock bearing guides are so so and I'm planning on replacing mine. I did resawn 8 inches of Zebrawood, Cherry and Maple on mine. No problems. Godspeed.

Tim Byars
05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I couldn't resist...I'll be posting again when I pick it up in a couple days :)

Mike Heidrick
05-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Saw it in the craftsman club flyer I received on Saturday.

marty purselley
05-13-2008, 8:31 AM
Who makes this bandsaw for them? Some of the reviews indicate parts were problematic.

Deck Reagan
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I checked it out on their site and I don't see a link to order it online and get the additional 20% off??? I wonder if it's offered everywhere?

deck

Deck Reagan
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I figured it out...but they want $98 bucks for delivery :(

Ryan Eldridge
05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
John, I used VXB brand sealed ABEC 7 bearings I ordered them from the auction site. They were less than $10 with shipping and perform nicely, they are a lot quieter and are holding up a lot better than the originals.

Deck, I got around the delivery charge by going to the buy it online and pick up in store, it took me going through the three sears location in my area until I could find a store I could pick it up at, even though I just picked it up at the warehouse.

Deck Reagan
05-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I can't seem to find a store pick up option.

deck

francis gunde
05-13-2008, 1:04 PM
I think the 20% off is for online orders, and it won't show up until you add it to your basket.

Deck Reagan
05-13-2008, 1:59 PM
Yea...I can get it to show up but none of my local stores qualify for pickup. I can have it delivered to my house but they want $98. That's like 25% of the saw price!

Tim Byars
05-13-2008, 8:08 PM
That would kind of take the edge off the deal...guess it depends on whether it's in stock nearby? I had no problem using the in-store pickup option.

James White
05-14-2008, 2:32 PM
All of the stores within 200 miles of me show it as out of stock when you try and order it on line for in store pick up. However after calling some of the stores they are in stock. I am not sure why it shows out of stock but they are there. Perhaps it is a way for sears to get around the 20% off on the big ticket items. Also you can not order it on line for pick up at the Sears Hardware store regardless weather in stock or not. I purchased one at a regular Sears store for $449.

James

Kevin Lucas
05-14-2008, 3:40 PM
Sears doesn't seem to keep a lot of these in their store rooms. And their site has odd pick up / in stock checker. I came into a windfall of 200 $ and went to go get their 9 inch band saw (I know its small but had good reviews). They did honor the price and ordered one to be delivered to the store about 20 day wait but I can live with that )

Tim Byars
05-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Guess I was far too optimistic about Sears service...scheduled pickup, but came home empty handed because it hadn't arrived. After some back and forth about when it would arrive and rescheduling, they eventually told me that the sale is canceled. The rep actually said "sales were simply greater than inventory" as though no one could possibly blame them after having that information (which puts me in mind of the Seinfeld routine about the purpose of a reservation). It was almost surreal...my frustration was met with neither sympathy nor hostility...it was as though they were oblivious to it, or didn't understand it.
Meanwhile, there one sits on the sales floor, complete with several pull slips in the holder, as though there are a half dozen sitting in back waiting to be purchased.

marty purselley
05-22-2008, 12:07 AM
I looked at a lot of them and chose the Rikon-I wanted the powermatic, but couldn't justify the expense when the 10-325 has a lot of features. And if you were lucky enough to get one a couple of months ago, even more bang for the buck.

David Bodkin
05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
The price on the 10" bandsaw also went up recently. It was $150 a couple months ago and now it is at $190. Maybe who ever is making them upped the price on the whole line.

George Lipman
05-22-2008, 1:09 AM
James, when did you buy your 14" bandsaw? I ordered mine last week for the sale price of $359, at the time the website said 19-22 day wait, now the website shows them out of stock. Should I just give up, or hope that they will reappear???

John Revilla
05-22-2008, 9:56 AM
Yes. Sears usually offer the 20% discount on online orders only. If there is a store near you, and shipping will be free, what a deal! Godspeed.

James White
05-22-2008, 12:24 PM
James, when did you buy your 14" bandsaw? I ordered mine last week for the sale price of $359, at the time the website said 19-22 day wait, now the website shows them out of stock. Should I just give up, or hope that they will reappear???

I purchases mine a few days before 5/14/08. The stores that did not have them in stock said it would take until June to come in. Were are you located? Enfield CT has two in stock. Just start calling the stores in your area. In fact if you call a Sears Hardware they can search other local stores inventory. They are not able to do that at the regular Sears stores. If you find one call customer service and tell them you would like to pick it up at the store. Just make sure they do a physical check at any store that says they have one.

James

greg munro
05-22-2008, 2:15 PM
Is that price canadian or us price