PDA

View Full Version : Laminat top questions and others

Ron Bontz
05-12-2008, 5:40 PM
Well here I am debating on a counter top or so I thought. Turns out my other half does not like any of the solid surface colors. I have to agree some of them are pretty ugly. So now she has decided on the Wilson high definition laminates. She found one that even I like. After pricing just the one top and hearing the price I decided to make my own. I have made my own before using plywood with a hard wood edge. This time I was wondering since I have to make one of them almost 11 feet long if anyone has ever used MDF using two layers of 3/8 and stagger the joints. Or perhaps 3/4" luan ply (a good grade) finger or spline joint it for the length then laminate. I am trying to avoid particle board and of course will be using Weldwood contact cement. I have a few days before the laminate arrives. Any thoughts?
Next question. I have an omnijig 7216 with all but one template made for it. I don't have the sliding dovetail template. I have actually never used it because I have always used my leigh D4. I couldn't decide which way to go initially so I bought both. I never intended on keeping both but I did so there you have it. So what do you suppose this thing is worth these days.
Last question...Hmmm, well I forgot. I'll think of it later most likely when I am doing something else. Thanks in advance.:)

Matt Ocel
05-12-2008, 6:10 PM
Ron -
You won't have any problem with particle board. Use a 12" piece at the seam, glue and screw I always use 1 1/4" drywall screws as to not go through both layers, or through the laminate when fastening the top to build-up.

P.S. I think you meant "wilsonart" High def.

Karl Brogger
05-12-2008, 9:19 PM
Particle board is the standard. Just my own curiousity why do you not want to use PB? Plywood isn't as stable, or as flat. If you are concerned about water seal up the hole for the sink with more contact cement, and silicone your backsplashes on.

Check and see if you can get a different brand of laminate. There isn't anything wrong about Wilsonart but it is considerably more expensive than the others.

Food for thought.