View Full Version : Anyone use fulldisc style dado blades?

Bruce Brurud
05-12-2008, 3:15 PM
I'm in the market for a dado blade and came across a style I've never seen. The chippers look like 6 tooth sawblades instead of the 2 tooth style I'm used to. Seems like a good idea, but lots of things seem like a good idea but turn out otherwise. Does anybody have any experience with these? Thanks!

www.northwoodtools.com/categories.asp?cID=5 (http://www.northwoodtools.com/categories.asp?cID=5)

Dave Falkenstein
05-12-2008, 3:31 PM
In general, the more teeth on a dado set, the better the cut, and the pricier the set. Lots of dado sets use 24 tooth outside blades and 4 tooth chippers, Freud Super Dado, for example. Most of the dado sets with a higher tooth count are $200 and above. I'd ask around about this specific brand, since the cost is only $79.95 and they are made in China.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-12-2008, 4:08 PM
For under a hundred dollars that looks very interesting.
Were I in the market for a Dado I'd try that one for sure.

Dave Sweeney
05-12-2008, 4:20 PM
That set looks very similar to the Harbor Freight 44566 set which I paid around $30 for. FWIW, the Harbor Freight set cuts an almost flat bottomed dado. If there is a drawback to these types of dado sets it's their weight. They are heavier than the more familiar wing style chippers and a wider setup will tax the motor on smaller motored saws, 2 HP or less. I've replaced my HF set with a Freud SD200 Series because of the weight issue and not because I was unhappy with the results I got with the HF set.

Ben Cadotte
05-12-2008, 4:20 PM
Here is a decent set. $81 from Amazon. I have the Avenger brand version of the same style and so far its been a very good set of blades. My set may be the 8" 30 tooth though, can't remember (not at home now). I believe I paid $50 so it is probably the lower tooth count. Had them for about 4 years now.

http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SDS-0842-8-Inch-Tooth-Stack/dp/B0012YF25Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1210623124&sr=1-1

The Avenger and Oshlun kit both include a 3/32" chipper for plywood cutting (also 1/16" like the northwood kit). So 1 more chipper than whats included in the Northwood kit. All 3 look very very similar in design. Probably the from the same line.

I don't know about the others but the Avenger kit uses an offset grind on the main 2 outside blades. Depending on how you put them together. They cut either 3/16" or 1/4". That is a little bit of an advantage if you want a slightly narrow kerf for some reason. Just a little plus in their design.

Jeff Duncan
05-12-2008, 5:52 PM
In general you want a better dado if your going to try crosscuts in veneered plywood and similar types of material. This is where the higher end sets like Freud and Forrest really shine.
If your only interested in running grooves with the grain, you may be fine with a less expensive blade. But the chippers are only hogging out material
and as such affect just the bottom of the dado. It's the outside blades that determine the quality of the edges of the material being cut, so that's where the biggest difference will be.
I've got a couple freud sets and they work very well, can't speak to the blade your looking at, but hopefully someone else will come around who can.
good luck,
JeffD

Bruce Brurud
05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the input! I looked at an Oshlun set last night and it looked ok. The salesguy couldn't vouch for it as he hadn't used that set but he hadn't heard any complaints.

I hadn't thought about the weight of the blades. I've got a 12 year old Grizzly saw and don't remember the HP. I'd bet 1.5, though.

The upcoming project is going to involve crosscuts in Birch plywood so I am concerned about tear-out. Maybe I should bite the bullet and go with Freud, which seems to be about the best I can afford.

Grant Morris
05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I think you should consider this set before you decide.

Amazon Link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000O7YJAQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

I am not affiliated with Amazon or Delta in any way.