PDA

View Full Version : Places to check out while in the OC (CA)?

Ben Martin
05-12-2008, 8:15 AM
I am in Orange County until Thursday, staying next to the airport, can you guys help me with some neat woodworking places to check out? I have never been to California before, but got the GPS with the rental car, so getting places isn't a problem.

Brian Kent
05-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Disneyland's Grand Californian Hotel
It is outside the park, so parking fees only, and is made and furnished beautifully in the Arts and Crafts style
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/landing?name=GrandCalifornianHotelLandingPage

Orange CA, drive around Orange and find some beautiful Craftsman-Style homes.

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
1955 N Tustin
Orange, CA 92865

Reel Lumber
1321 Kraemer Bvld. Anaheim, Ca 92806

Reel Lumber Bulk Yard
275 East Santa Ana St. Anaheim, Ca 9280

Woodcraft
Village Center
12781 Beach Boulevard
Stanton, CA 90680

A little drive:
Sam Maloof exhibit at Oceanside Museum of Art

704 Pier View Way
Oceanside CA 92054
(760) 721-2787
Hours Tues-Sat 10am-4pm

"Sam Maloof: Essence of the Handmade"
Where: Robert V. Fullerton Museum, Cal State San Bernardino, 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino.
When: Tuesday [January 29] -May 17, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday.
Cost: Admission is free. Campus parking is $4.
Information: 909-537-7373 or artmuseum@csusb.edu

Thursday Tours of the Maloof Home
http://www.malooffoundation.org/tours.cfm

Have fun!
Brian Kent

Art Travers
05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Austin Hardwoods ..Behind Railroad Station in Santa Ana..

Brodie Brickey
05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
del Mano Gallery does a lot of wood turned objects. Call them first, the current display Turned Wood - Small Treasures just ended May 10, I don't know what they have up now. Call it an hour and a half drive during non-rush hour.

W. Los Angeles, Ca. 90049
Tue-Sat 10:00am - 6:00pm
Closed Sunday & Monday
310-476-8508

In the valley:

del Mano Gallery is committed to present to collectors, museums, educators and the general public, the finest contemporary artists working in craft media, with an emphasis on studio turned and sculptured wood, fiber objects and teapot forms. Through gallery exhibitions, off-site art expositions, printed catalogs and on going documentation, we endeavor to expand the boundaries of contemporary artistic practice and increase the exposure of work in this field.
History
del Mano Gallery was founded by Jan Peters and Raymond Leier in 1973 as an exhibition space for contemporary U.S. artists working in craft media. Over the ensuing years we have widened our representation to artists from 14 nations around the world and focused our efforts on the fields of wood, fiber and mixed media. Five major group exhibitions are mounted each year, along with several one person shows and at least two off-site art expositions.
Ms. Peters & Mr. Leier have authored several books on wood, baskets and glass. In 2001 they were honored by the Collectors of Wood Art organization with "Lifetime Achievement Awards" in the field of Wood Art.
Staff