PDA

View Full Version : My latest segmented piece

Bill Wyko
05-12-2008, 4:49 AM
Here's my latest piece. It's made of Honduras Rosewood, Maple, Bloodwood, Wenge and beechwood. It has 505 pieces. It's finished in 4 coats of Tung oil so far. As always, please enjoy and comments are very welcome.

Geoff Hanha
05-12-2008, 6:25 AM
Lots of lovley pieces of wood seems a shame to have cut them all up in such tiny bits, be a man and have a go at a big piece of wood, stop messing with fiddly little bits:D. I love the woods its a really nice piece, love the idea of the sig in the bottom, lot of work and has paid off, what sort of time frame you spent on it. I love to see time well spent so many rush to finish and spoil on the finish. I like it a lot can sit on my side any time. Top piece..Geoff

Norm Zax
05-12-2008, 7:37 AM
Ok, time to admit it - did you sign the inside bottom before turning or even before gluing half of the rings?
None the less - beautiful work!!

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2008, 9:01 AM
be a man and have a go at a big piece of wood

Now that's funny!! :D

Bill, great looking vase! Beautiful colors, design and finish! Amazing how far you have come in such a short amount of time! Excellent work!

Brian Weick
05-12-2008, 9:34 AM
It's good that there is an opening at the top to collect all of the drool that will fall inside after looking at that beautiful piece of work~ Great job! You are an incredible turner~ :eek:
Brian

Richard Madison
05-12-2008, 9:42 AM
Looks good Bill! Tricky fit on the oval pieces.

Bruce Pennell
05-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Bill I see you have found an other use for your Domino, I love the effect. Your work is great keep it up. Bruce:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Bill that is a beautiful piece. I just wish I had the patience to do that. I am giving a bowl a go and in the glue up process now. I am doing it just to say I did one.

Brian Effinger
05-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Beautiful work as always, Bill. I have to ask too... how did you sign it?

Don Robert
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Bill,
Very nice, once again. I guess my wife and I will see it in person at next year's Carefree Art Festival? Did you get any of the figured bubinga that you told me about? I was able to get some.

Brian Brown
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Beautiful piece bill. Love the signature! You made a great choice o woods. When do you find time to go to work?

curtis rosche
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
what happened to the other pece you were working on, to beat monsoon? what happened to giving us preveiws of it?

that looks awsome but you already know that, dont have to tell you

Bill Wyko
05-12-2008, 1:55 PM
Thanks everyone. This was a very fun piece to build. It took about 2 weekends and several evenings. As far as the signature goes.:D.......I sign the piece that goes in the bottom then put it in the vessel.;) I thought that would get a rise.:D I enjoy a little TV but I'll be sitting there watching something and have an idea. That's when I get up and head to the shop.:D

Walt Nollan
05-12-2008, 2:30 PM
Nicely exicuted. Very nice work!
Walt

Dean Matthews
05-12-2008, 3:09 PM
That is really cool.

I have to ask... did you by any chance turn the bottom portions and hollow them out and THEN add the neck?

I have seen demos where people will hollow the bottom like a bowl on the inside and then glue the top portion on and do the whole outside at once.

Just curious if that was the process here.

Mike Golka
05-12-2008, 6:34 PM
Great looking piece Bill!! Keep up the good work, your an inspiration for all us newbys.:D

Bill Wyko
05-12-2008, 6:55 PM
Here's how I do the top and bottom. I made the mistake of turning my biggest vessel, Monsoon, in a HF style. Never again. I'll try HF's but if given the option, I'll do the top and bottom individually. Steve has all the Hollow Forms under lock and key. He's the HF king.:D

Dennis Peacock
05-12-2008, 7:18 PM
Beautiful piece there Bill..!!!!!!

I only see one minor problem with it though.

It's not sitting with my turning collection. ;)

Bill Wyko
05-13-2008, 1:56 AM
Beautiful piece there Bill..!!!!!!

I only see one minor problem with it though.

It's not sitting with my turning collection. ;)
There's another problem. It won't be in mine either. It's going to a retired kernel. He commissioned me to build it a month ago. If he doesn't like it though, I'll be happy to keep it. No hurt feelings.:D I have a whole bunch of new ideas for patterns after this one. I'll be back on the big one I started a while back soon.:o

Bill Wyko
05-13-2008, 5:56 PM
Thanks you guys. I'm glad you like it. I thought the use of ovals was a little change of pace. This one's form was a little different. It causes me to stare at it and think of what I would do differently. Maby the feature ring a touch higher. LOML wants me to make another one for the customer and keep this one. Too bad that won't be happening.:D

Ben Gastfriend
05-13-2008, 6:01 PM
Definitley great work. Simply amazing! One question... what's a Kernal?

Bill Wyko
05-13-2008, 6:51 PM
A kernel is a military ranking:D

Brian Effinger
05-13-2008, 7:52 PM
A kernel is a military ranking:D

I thought it was one of those things at the bottom of the popcorn bowl :p

Dean Matthews
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Here's how I do the top and bottom. I made the mistake of turning my biggest vessel, Monsoon, in a HF style. Never again. I'll try HF's but if given the option, I'll do the top and bottom individually. Steve has all the Hollow Forms under lock and key. He's the HF king.:D

That is VERY cool... I have to ask though... how the heck do you get it to align so well? Doesn't look like you left a lot of meat to glue on to at the end.

Dennis Puskar
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
That is a very nice piece. Where do you get your plans ? I sure would like to make a piece like that.

Dennis

Bill Wyko
05-14-2008, 1:05 PM
That is a very nice piece. Where do you get your plans ? I sure would like to make a piece like that.

Dennis
This vessel was done completely in my head. No programs or drawings. When I do use a program it's woodturners studio. Malcolm Tibbetts told me about this program. It's great for dimentions and an overall look at it.

Bill Wyko
05-14-2008, 1:06 PM
I thought it was one of those things at the bottom of the popcorn bowl :p
I even went on an Army site. Spelled the same.

Robert McGowen
05-14-2008, 1:45 PM
Very nice Bill. You must be neglecting the stereo shop with all the pieces you are making. :rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
05-14-2008, 2:30 PM
No, just the LOML.:D As long as she's on the recieving end once in a while I'm ok.

robert hainstock
05-14-2008, 4:28 PM
As i've said before, some make piece's and some make ART. Nice example of the latter. :D:D
Bob

Cary Swoveland
05-15-2008, 8:22 PM
Bill, you did a great job on this one. The choice of woods is very striking. I especially like the use of the Honduras Rosewood.

Cary

Bill Wyko
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Cary. You konw, this wood didn't look like much at all until I got some finish on it. I couldn't believe my eyes. It really came alive. Just goes to show what can be hiding in plain sight.:D Thanks again.:)

Bill Wyko
05-16-2008, 5:28 PM
Here's a few pics of how I did the segments. In the picture with the segments in the jig, the segment is flush when I make the plunge. I also made the jig adjustable so I can do different length segments.

David Newson
05-16-2008, 8:21 PM
Bill, That's a great segmented vase, I recently saw at a wood turning show someone had made miniature like stickware with a white wood and ebony with his initials and he inserts them into the bottom of every piece he turns, good idea if it your initials are made up of straight lines !

Bill Wyko
05-17-2008, 2:04 AM
Thanks David. I've seen miniature segmented pieces too. Very amazing. I'm not that good yet.:o I'll Work on it though:D

Glenn Hodges
05-17-2008, 3:42 PM
Bill, they don't get any more beautiful than this.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2008, 2:21 AM
A little update on this turning. I entered it in a contest on FOG and won a Festooll ETS150/5. It actually beat my Humidors.:D I was surprised it did so well. What a great way to aquire A Festool product. I guess a little luck can go a long way.

lynn smith
07-05-2008, 2:36 AM
My gosh man, stunning piece.
Bill, How much time would go into a piece like that?
All your pieces are fit together nicely.
Great choices in color and layout.
I love this place, I have never been so inspired and motivated to not just step out of the box but more like jump out of the box.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2008, 2:13 PM
Thank you Lynn. This piece I think took me around 2 or 3 weeks part time. I was really skeptical about this piece when I started but I did it anyway and I'm actually happy with it after all. I have a few different ways to try patterns like this. I'm caring for my father after work right now but I'll be back to turning asap.

Clara Koss
07-05-2008, 8:56 PM
very nice!!!! love the colors...

Ron Jones near Indy
07-05-2008, 11:24 PM
That is simply unbelievable Bill! The color selection and finish are excellent. Thanks for sharing with us.

mike fuson
07-06-2008, 2:28 AM
Very nice Bill. Very nice indeed.

Dewey Torres
07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
WOW Bill!!!!

Your stuff is all over. I saw your work on the Incra website, American Woodworker Magazine, Now you win at FOG!

Color me impressed.

Oh, and I don't think it is luck.

Congrats!~
Dewey

Ron Bontz
07-06-2008, 2:26 PM
After looking at this again and again annnnnnnd again, all I can say is stunning. Best wishes.

Bill Wyko
07-06-2008, 3:33 PM
I think it has a lot to do with great advice from members here and at the FOG. When I first started turning I couldn't tell you a skew from a spoon. I've absorbed tons of info from all of you and learned the proper use of more tools than I ever imagined. Thanks to all of you.:)

Bill Wyko
07-06-2008, 4:34 PM
what happened to the other pece you were working on, to beat monsoon? what happened to giving us preveiws of it?

that looks awsome but you already know that, dont have to tell you
Sorry, I've been caring for my father after a complicated back surgery. I only get minutes in my shop every few days. He's doing much better but it'll still be a few more weeks before he can be on his own. I have made progress on that piece but very little. This vessel was commissioned by a friend of mine. I gotta do the money jobs first:D This piece went for 1250.00. In this economy, that is a big help. I promise, as soon as I can get some solid time in and I finish LOMLs jewelry box, I'll get back on it. I really look forward to working on that vessel.;)

Bill Wyko
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Well, another little gloat for this piece. It was just included in Festools sysnotes. I'm honored to recieve such attention with this piece, especially in the company they put me in. I have to admit, I didn't think this piece would turn out so well. I was happy when it was done but I really had to see it come together. Now I have to let it go. The new owner is paying it off tomorrow.:o Time to make more.:D Thanks Festool.

Walt Nollan
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Very nice work! Beautiful!

Walt

Phillip Bogle
07-10-2008, 2:03 PM
Bill:
I looked and did not see any dimensions. Can you give us an idea about general size of the finished piece.

It is a wonder to behold for certain.

Thanks,
Phil

Bill Wyko
07-10-2008, 2:32 PM
Sorry about that. It's approximately 7-3/4"x10-1/2" and the wall thickness is about 3/16th of an inch. Thank you for the compliment.