PDA

View Full Version : Signing Your Work

Jason Tuinstra
04-06-2004, 1:52 PM
I was just wondering how many of you sign your work and how you do it - what kind of pen do you use to prevent the ink from bleeding or what kind of "touches," for lack a better word, do you use. Perhaps you don't sign it at all. Maybe you use some other form to sign, date, or identify your pieces. Just curious.

I've never signed my work, but I thought it might be nice to add a more personal touch when I make something for someone else. Any suggestions, or maybe even photos, would be great?

Thanks

Jason

Scott Coffelt
04-06-2004, 2:12 PM
It depends on the piece, but I have a wood burning name plate that I bought from Rockler. I use it on most larger projects. I also use a sharp point sharpie on smaller items, but usually wait until i put a could of sanding sealer and then sand down, it usually doesn't bleed. I plan to eventually have some name plates made, but just haven't gotten around to that.

Chris Padilla
04-06-2004, 2:38 PM
Mine are usually signed by the ugly chunk of filler I used to mask a dumb mistake.... :p

D.McDonnel "Mac"
04-06-2004, 2:43 PM
I sign and date almost everything I make just using a pencil and then a woodburning tool to make it permanent. After that it's on with whatever finishing method I'll use on that piece.

I don't know if it's vanity (wanting credit for the work I've done) or just a way of reminding my old slow brain when I made stuff. I think of grand kids and great grandkids looking at that makers mark and asking about the old relative that made this piece of furniture. Don't know for sure but I really enjoy putting my mark on the pieces I make.

Donnie Raines
04-06-2004, 2:48 PM
I have yet to sign any of the items I have made. I wanted to...but always felt a little goofy doing that. I also thought(..now this is reallllllly egotistical, but you never know if somehting you make will gain you fame and fortune....like many of the treasures you and I enjoy from the "way past"). One of these days I will sign something.....

DonnieR

Ian Barley
04-06-2004, 2:48 PM
I had a branding iron made up about three years ago and sign all my chairs. Customers like it 'cos it says that I am standing by my work. I like it because when their friends like it they know where it came from!

Jim Becker
04-06-2004, 3:42 PM
I sign my turnings with either a woodburning pen or a Sharpie marker and have a branding iron for furniture and cabinetry...now, if I could only remember to use it! :rolleyes:

Gary Hoemann
04-06-2004, 4:28 PM
I "sign" some of my things, like for the grandkids or something that I think is going to be around a long time. I had a stamp made up that is round and a little bigger than a penny. around the outside it says "one penny woodshop" and I drill a recess in the center of the circle that just fits a penny dated the year I made the item. Sometimes I will still sign it or write a little message to the person receiving the item

Michael Ballent
04-06-2004, 4:34 PM
I just got a branding iron from Rockler with my name on it.... Some people also place a penny from the year the item was constructed on the item. Drill a shallow hole the same diameter as the penny and epoxy it in place. then they sign it.

-Michael

Ted Shrader
04-06-2004, 4:37 PM
Jason -

I generally epoxy a coin with the current date (penny or quarter) in a hole counter bored with a forstner bit. Then add my initials with a Sharpie and the Month/Year.

As some of the others have said - helps me remember when some projects were completed.

Ted

Jason Tuinstra
04-06-2004, 4:54 PM
Hey guys, some great ideas. The pennies and coins are a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Todd
04-06-2004, 5:06 PM
Hey guys, some great ideas. The pennies and coins are a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.
This is my signature.
Jerry

Byron Trantham
04-06-2004, 5:12 PM
Mine are usually signed by the ugly chunk of filler I used to mask a dumb mistake.... :p

Chris, sounds like my signature! :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
04-06-2004, 5:57 PM
This is my signature.
Jerry

Jerry,

That is a nice touch. How big is it compared to a quarter or penny? It appears you brand a piece or circle of wood and then glue it into a recess made by a forstner bit?

Keith Outten
04-06-2004, 6:40 PM
Chris,

Jerry's medailion is 1.235" diameter and is about 3/16" thick laser engraved cherry. Drill the project with a 1.25" forsner bit and it will fit perfectly. I believe it was one that I made for Jerry.

Todd Burch
04-06-2004, 7:40 PM
For painted built-ins, I'll write my name and date on the wall behind the casework prior to installation.

For stained pieces, I will typically stamp my name and date with an alpha-numeric steel hand punch set, one letter at a time. Usually on the top edge of an upper door or the lower edge of a bottom door, usually on the left side door, since I'm left handed.

A few years ago, I experimented with rub-on transfers, but they either lifted or melted with a finish coat. My long term plans are to have a silk screen made (or make one - I've made them before) and screen my signature/logo in places like on the inside side of a drawer box, etc. (And I'll do that as soon as I make something worthy... ;))

Chris Padilla
04-06-2004, 7:48 PM
Chris,

Jerry's medailion is 1.235" diameter and is about 3/16" thick laser engraved cherry. Drill the project with a 1.25" forsner bit and it will fit perfectly. I believe it was one that I made for Jerry.

Keith,

That is very nice and a great idea! I think if one left a space to use a punch like Todd describes above for a simple date, it would be perfect. Now if I only made something worthy of such a nice marker! :o

Jim Baker
04-06-2004, 8:49 PM

I sometimes use "signature beechwood accents" on the ends of raised panels and tabletops. :D

Dale Thompson
04-06-2004, 9:26 PM
Jason,
Sign MY work!!?? Are you CRAZY?? :o :( ;)

You already have all of the BEST ideas. If something is REALLY special, I have a bronze or silver plate professionally engraved. That, however, gets VERY expensive. Also, the mounting screws are so small that I usually lose them. Whatever, the "Professional Engravers" in Peshtigo are NOT getting rich at MY expense! :) :)

Dale T.

Mark Singer
04-07-2004, 12:29 AM
if it looks great I sign it with my name ...if it is so so, I chose a name at random from SMC, Each of you has been resposible for some pretty average work (that I made) over the last several months, I use a Dremel tool and a rotary bit. Thanks guys for taking credit...I can do the same for you!

Mark Singer
04-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi-

My last remark was dumb....

Honestly, I am lucky to be in the company of such supportive and talented friends.

And by the way, I only sign and date work that are gifts for friends and family.

Tom Hintz
04-07-2004, 6:49 AM
I also sign most things I make (especailly those made for sale) with a sharpie.
I didn't sign anything for a long time but after I started doing the occasional show, and everyone wanted the piece signed before they would buy it, I decided signing was at least partially good marketing. If that's what customers want, it's just as important as anything else we do to make objects attractive to potential buyers.

Bill Grumbine
04-07-2004, 8:07 AM
Hi Jason

I have used nemerous methods over the years, but the most recent, and probably permanent method has been to use a woodburner. I started out with a cheapie from Walmart, and just about two weeks ago moved up to a high powered professional burner which is designed for people who woodburn as their primary woodworking activity. It is hot, it writes fast, and is very versatile. It is also quite permanent, unless you grind the writing back out with some heavy duty sanding. It works well for both turnings and furniture.

Bill

Dan Bussiere
04-07-2004, 8:24 AM
I usually sign my neighbor's name to my work. Let him take the blame!
Dan

Ray Dockrey
04-07-2004, 8:27 AM
I have just started signing mine. I use a sharpie for now but I like the idea of the medallions. I think for me though I would want an extra line on the medallion to write in a date.

Ken Salisbury
04-07-2004, 9:17 AM
I have used these for years - made with various woods.

Ken Salisbury
04-07-2004, 9:19 AM
This is my signature.
Jerry

Wonder where you got that idea :D

Keith Outten
04-07-2004, 9:52 AM
Ray,

I would think the date would fit nicely right under the name. of course a serial number would be a good idea, then log the serial number by date and customer name. When you order medallions you could request sequential serial numbers be engraved.

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

Mark - no need to appologize. I'll gladly take credit on any of your rejects. It's T-U-I-N-S-T-R-A

Here's a site that I found after searching for brands (no affiliation). http://www.brandnew.net/branding_irons/irons2hc.shtml

I liked this stock piece the best that sells for $55.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 10:54 AM
if it looks great I sign it with my name ...if it is so so, I chose a name at random from SMC, Each of you has been resposible for some pretty average work (that I made) over the last several months, I use a Dremel tool and a rotary bit. Thanks guys for taking credit...I can do the same for you!

Hahahahahaha...good one, Mark! :) You know that you can always edit your posts...just go back to it and click on the edit button...piece of pie! :)

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

Mark - no need to appologize. I'll gladly take credit on any of your rejects. It's T-U-I-N-S-T-R-A

Here's a site that I found after searching for brands (no affiliation). http://www.brandnew.net/branding_irons/irons2hc.shtml

I liked this stock piece the best that sells for $55.

Cool site...I see they have mine all ready! :)

Lee Schierer
04-07-2004, 12:28 PM
I have a branding iron that says "Hand crafted by Leon Schierer" that gets applied to all my work. In addition I bore a recess 3/4" in diameter and glue a penny of the current year into the recess. This serves to mark the year the piece was made and a penny is small enough in value that no one will bother to take it out. People are really impressed by the penny idea.

Aaron Koehl
04-08-2004, 9:08 AM
This is my signature.
Jerry
Yes, the recessed medallions are way cool--

If you sign a 3x5 index card (unlined) with your "shop" signature it can be scanned and laser engraved onto a shipment of medallions.

Definitely the way to go for signing a nice piece, IMO.

_Aaron_

Mike Kelly
04-08-2004, 9:26 AM
I love the medallions. Here is some of what I have done. I also use a woodburner with my name on it I got from Rockler I think.

Chris Padilla
04-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Yes, the recessed medallions are way cool--

If you sign a 3x5 index card (unlined) with your "shop" signature it can be scanned and laser engraved onto a shipment of medallions.

Definitely the way to go for signing a nice piece, IMO.

_Aaron_

Okay, this signature thing is VERY cool! I may have to pursue this idea! I think a personal signature in the round medallion would be tops! :D