PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard

Brian J Rogalny
05-11-2008, 9:01 PM
I need to do some samples for a custom car shop. They are looking for some guages, symbols, text, etc that you would see on a dash. They are customizing a Mercedes Mayback. They are also looking for me to reverse engrave. Not sure what they mean yet. They would like me to cut and engrave borders around these instruments so they can backlight it. t

Thad Nickoley
05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
wow, do you know what a Maybak is worth? That would be a fun project.

Rodne Gold
05-12-2008, 2:32 AM
You need to use the Rowmark reverse engraveable laminates , clear thickish front and a cap that is engraved from behind - you get em in matte and clear finishes , I suggest the matte finish. You can fill the engraving with transluscent paints used on glass for various colours , this is easily backlit for some stunning effects.

Craig Hogarth
05-12-2008, 3:32 AM
Reverse engraving is when you mirror the engraving and engrave on the backside. It can be done on anything where the engraving is visible on the other side, such as reverse engravable plastic or acrylic.

Brian J Rogalny
05-12-2008, 5:11 PM
They are looking for me to do this sample on painted acrylic. I know it is a very expensive car, I already have done some leather engraving for the interior with this persons logo for this same car. I am looking for some instuments to engrave, like guages or switches.

Sandra Force
05-12-2008, 5:16 PM
I would google speedo gauges for what you need. I do dash panels for motor coaches and some of them are standard engraving and others are reverse engraved from the back. I would look at using transparent colored film instead of filling for changing colors of lights. Cleaner and no bubbles. I would be sure and use his logo on your test piece, I have used Imagicor a couple of times and it turns out wonderful.;)

Mike Hood
05-14-2008, 12:48 AM
I do boat dashes and have had great luck laminating .030" burl wood onto a backer substrate and then engraving. I've also engraved the thin acrylic and then vacuum pressed it onto compound curved surfaces with some heat assist. Nice effect.

Brian Robison
05-14-2008, 8:39 AM
It's a Maybach