PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Proposition

Bart Sharp
04-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Hello all! I'm a long time lurker and weekend wood butcher, I thought I would go ahead and jump in. I've always been interested in woodworking, but only started doing anything four years ago when my wife and I bought our first house. Since then my output has been meager but enjoyable. Of all the woodworking websites that I cruise during my otherwise very productive workday, this one seems to be by far the best "community".

I'm hoping someone here might be interested in some wood (it's a longshot, I know). A little less than a year ago we took down an ash from the front of our house. There are several good size chunks, plus a straight 5-foot piece of the trunk about 15" in diameter. I hate to see it all go to waste, but there isn't nearly enough to bother having it sawn into flat stock. Since I'm not a turner (for lack of a lathe), I thought maybe I could find someone else who could use it. I found a turners club in this area online, but the e-mail I sent went unanswered. So, I thought maybe someone on here might be interested.

What I would really like, if it could be arranged, would be to get some kind of a small turned bowl or something made out of the tree in exchange for the rest of the stock. Probably not nearly a fair trade for run-of-the-mill ash, but I thought it was worth a try. We're getting ready to sell the house because the plant I'm working at is closing up and moving, so it would be extra cool to have a little something from the old homestead to take with us.

I'm in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. If anyone is interested in a trade, that would be great. If not, I'd settle for someone to just take it and put it to good use. Otherwise it will have to be a weinie roast.

Thanks!

Chris Padilla
04-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi Bart,

Welcome to The Creek! :) We are big on pictures here as you know...got any pics of that lovely log 'o ash? :D

Bart Sharp
04-06-2004, 1:48 PM
Hi Bart,

Welcome to The Creek! :) We are big on pictures here as you know...got any pics of that lovely log 'o ash? :D

I don't have any yet, but I'll be happy to take some. I need to take a few snapshots of the shop anyway, I'll just make a day of it.

Byron Trantham
04-06-2004, 5:11 PM
Welcome Bart. Good luck on moving your wood.

Todd Burch
04-06-2004, 7:31 PM
Welcome Bart! You moving far from there?

Bart Sharp
04-07-2004, 8:23 AM
Welcome Bart! You moving far from there?

We aren't 100% sure where we're going yet. The plant is moving to your great state of Texas. We've been offered the chance to transfer, but both my family and my wife's are from Indiana. We had our first baby in January, and we're not too crazy about the idea of dragging her farther away from her grandparents. We have a lot of serious decision making to do in the next few months.

Bart Sharp
04-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Here is a picture of the log, and one of the pile of smaller stuff that hasn't been split and stacked.

I haven't had anybody interested yet, it looks like it might end up in the wienie roast!

Tyler Howell
04-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Welcome Bart. Glad to have you on board. It is a great community. PIX for the Packer Fans
Bart you just popped an Avatar while I was watching....Did it hurt???
We've shared something very special today!:p :p

Bart Sharp
04-17-2004, 8:00 PM
Bart you just popped an Avatar while I was watching....Did it hurt???
We've shared something very special today!:p :p

It was nearly painless, once I stopped long enough to read the instructions! You know what they say, when all else fails, RTFM.

Bart

George Summers
04-17-2004, 8:25 PM
Downed ash is extremely susceptable to powder post beetles. They attack ash almost immediately. Check to make sure your log is clean. It would be unfortunate to pay to have it sliced and find it full of holes (DAMHIKT).

George

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Bart,
Welcome to the 'Creek! I'm a relative "newbee". Neat crowd here! Lots of good info! Again, Welcome! :D

Bart Sharp
04-19-2004, 9:43 AM
Downed ash is extremely susceptable to powder post beetles. They attack ash almost immediately. Check to make sure your log is clean. It would be unfortunate to pay to have it sliced and find it full of holes (DAMHIKT).

George

I haven't noticed any signs (little piles of sawdust on and around the log, right?) but I will take a closer look. Since there doesn't seem to be any interest, I doubt it will matter much. If I only had a lathe (and tools, and a sharpening system, oh and a place to put it....) ;)

Boyd Gathwright
04-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Bart,

Welcome to the group. I admire your willingness to TRADE, SHARE and GIVE. I do a little of that myself from time to time. Hope you’re successful with your new location, job, house, and above all a nice new SHOP with a ONEWAY. As has been suggested, keep us posted and oh yea lots of pics. We get lost without pics; the words somehow get in the way.

God’s best to you and good luck.

Boyd :)

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker and weekend wood butcher, I thought I would go ahead and jump in. I've always been interested in woodworking, but only started doing anything four years ago when my wife and I bought our first house. Since then my output has been meager but enjoyable. Of all the woodworking websites that I cruise during my otherwise very productive workday, this one seems to be by far the best "community".

I'm hoping someone here might be interested in some wood (it's a longshot, I know). A little less than a year ago we took down an ash from the front of our house. There are several good size chunks, plus a straight 5-foot piece of the trunk about 15" in diameter. I hate to see it all go to waste, but there isn't nearly enough to bother having it sawn into flat stock. Since I'm not a turner (for lack of a lathe), I thought maybe I could find someone else who could use it. I found a turners club in this area online, but the e-mail I sent went unanswered. So, I thought maybe someone on here might be interested.

What I would really like, if it could be arranged, would be to get some kind of a small turned bowl or something made out of the tree in exchange for the rest of the stock. Probably not nearly a fair trade for run-of-the-mill ash, but I thought it was worth a try. We're getting ready to sell the house because the plant I'm working at is closing up and moving, so it would be extra cool to have a little something from the old homestead to take with us.

I'm in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. If anyone is interested in a trade, that would be great. If not, I'd settle for someone to just take it and put it to good use. Otherwise it will have to be a weinie roast.

Thanks!

George Summers
04-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I haven't noticed any signs (little piles of sawdust on and around the log, right?) but I will take a closer look. Since there doesn't seem to be any interest, I doubt it will matter much. If I only had a lathe (and tools, and a sharpening system, oh and a place to put it....) ;)

It's hard to see with the bark still on. Not even thinking about it, I hauled two big logs that had been down about 2 months to a sawyer. Paid my monies and got back a lot of boards with holes in them, almost totally unusable.

George

Bart Sharp
04-19-2004, 2:32 PM
Hi Bart,

Welcome to the group. I admire your willingness to TRADE, SHARE and GIVE. I do a little of that myself from time to time. Hope you’re successful with your new location, job, house, and above all a nice new SHOP with a ONEWAY. As has been suggested, keep us posted and oh yea lots of pics. We get lost without pics; the words somehow get in the way.

God’s best to you and good luck.

Boyd :)

Thanks Boyd, I appreciate that. As it is, the log doesn't do me any good, I'd sure rather see it used than just go to waste.

As to the new house and shop and all that, it's going to be a while. As of this fall I am going back to school. It's going to mean four hard years of scraping by on almost no money, most likely living in the smallest cheapest apartment we can find. I have been trying to talk myself into buying a Jet Mini now while still gainfully employed with the hope of making just a little extra money on the side making pens and boxes, not to mention safeguarding my mental health with a little lumber-based therapy. So far I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Jason Roehl, if you read this, I'm coming back to Purdue. Krannert has offered me a position in their strategic management program. Maybe I'll end up back at the Academy on the other side of the fence, what do you think?