PDA

View Full Version : Planter Box design and Material selection

Edward P. Surowiec
05-11-2008, 4:40 PM
Hi, I would appreciate your advise and comments on Planter Box design and choice of material.
Thanks Ed:)

Irvin Cooper
05-11-2008, 5:14 PM
Seems Cypress would be the only real option as far as material, followed maybe by Cedar?

Dewey Torres
05-11-2008, 6:21 PM
Cedar
Cyprus
Pressure treated pine
Red Wood

In General, for any outdoor project if you go with materials that are commonly used for wooden fencing you will be ok.

As for plans, just Google "free woodworking plans" and tons of sites will come up. Many of them are search-able and have plans such as planters.

Dewey

Brian W Evans
05-11-2008, 9:31 PM
I made some bird feeders, bird houses, and planters out of northern white cedar a few years ago. Even with the temperature extremes and freeze/thaw cycles we have for most of the year here in Vermont, they're as strong as the day I put them out. One feeder has even survived three black bear attacks. The only thing that has happened to my projects is that the cedar turns gray (it was unstained/unfinished).

Not sure where you're located or if this stuff is widely available outside its native region (Vermont, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine), but if it helps, the botanical name is Thuja Occidentalis. Great stuff.

HTH

Edward P. Surowiec
05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you all. I'm located in Maryland and I some of the local lumber yard have cedar but I'm sure that its white cedar.
Ed

Brad Townsend
05-12-2008, 12:42 PM
If painting them is a possibility, I have a suggestion. A few years ago, Tom Silva made some window boxes on Ask This Old House out of MDO (I believe it stands for Medium Density Overlay). It's a weather resistant ply that they use for road signs. I followed his approach and it's been three years and they still look great. If you want a natural wood finish, this stuff won't work.

Edward P. Surowiec
05-12-2008, 8:10 PM
Brad, MDO sound like an good idea. Where did you find a supplier for the MDO?
Ed

Ben Grunow
05-12-2008, 8:25 PM
I agree with cypress, redwood and cedar (red over white).

If they are going to be painted I would consider making them from PVC shich now comes in board sizes and sheets as well. Works like wood but never rots and the glue joints are welded so they never fail.

Mfgrs are Kleer and Azek (no affiliation)

Brad Townsend
05-14-2008, 8:30 AM
Brad, MDO sound like an good idea. Where did you find a supplier for the MDO?
Ed
I found it at Menards. That's a home center chain in the upper Midwest. (Don't know where you are located, so I don't know if that helps.) Any good lumber yard should be able to get it for you.

What Tom Silva did was assemble the boxes with glue and screws, countersinking the screws, filling in the screw holes with auto body filler and sanding them down smooth prior to painting.