PDA

View Full Version : Don't do this ( or at least don't be surprised...)

Curt Harms
05-11-2008, 2:54 PM
by the results if You do. I've been using a 1/2" SuperCut premium gold bandsaw blade for resawing. It's been working great-no drift,easy feed, pretty smooth result. We had a corkscrew willow lose a big branch this winter in an ice storm. I kept one straight piece to play with. I tried slabbing it with the SuperCut blade. Didn't work worth crap which was no real surprise seeing as the piece was still pretty wet. However, I just tried resawing a dry piece of 2X4 just to see. It no longer cuts with no drift and seems harder to feed. Just an example of what can cause blade drift. I think it's time to order another blade or two from Idaho.:rolleyes::). I'll keep this blade for general cutting and curves, it still cuts smooth but its resawing days are behind it.

Richard Wagner
05-11-2008, 3:46 PM
Please excuse my ignorance.

To what do you contribute the demise of a good bandsaw blade. It does not sound to me as though you did anything that would destroy a blade's cutting characteristics.

Pete Bradley
05-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Bark is the usual culprit. I'm not certain, but I've assumed that it has dirt in it.

Pete

Jim Becker
05-11-2008, 8:29 PM
Wet wood is much more stressful on a blade since it moves during the cut. Some manufacturers have blades formulated specifically for wet cutting, such as Suffolk's (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) Timberwolf AS series.

Tom Cowie
05-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Curt

All bandsaw blades are made to do certain tasks and as you have found out cutting wet wood is one of the most stressful on a blade as Jim has stated. I'm still searching for the perfect blade for cutting wet wood. I have used many different ones but I still find that the best one is mounted on my 036 stihl chain saw. I rough out the log and let it dry for some time before I try to dimension it on the bandsaw. Thanks for the post and if you do find a solution please post it . I'm going to try Jim's suggestion next time I buy some blades. I have found it difficult to get custom lengths with some of the speciality blades.

Tom

Curt Harms
05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Wet wood is much more stressful on a blade since it moves during the cut. Some manufacturers have blades formulated specifically for wet cutting, such as Suffolk's (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) Timberwolf AS series.
Suffolk/Timberwolf is one source, I believe Highland Woodworking offers a turner's bandsaw blade for wet wood as well.

Wayne Cannon
05-12-2008, 2:04 PM
If if didn't dull on some dirt somewhere, is it possibly that it picked up enough pitch to cause the problem?

Curt Harms
05-12-2008, 9:21 PM
If if didn't dull on some dirt somewhere, is it possibly that it picked up enough pitch to cause the problem?

I don't really know what caused the problem-I'm inclined to think the set got messed up somehow. The blade still cuts okay, but it won't cut without drift anymore which is why I suspect the set may be messed up. There was some wet wood on some of the tooth points but didn't really notice any sap.