PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw

ryan kelley
05-11-2008, 2:03 PM
I posted a couple days ago about some silver maple that I recently came across, now that I need to cut it into blanks I have a new problem. It seems that the new chain I bought for my saw won't stay on, no matter how many times I try to keep adjusting the tension. I don't do much logging so a top of the line chainsaw isn't needed. What I am looking to get is a 16" gas from Craftsman, the saw I have now is an electric 14". Lke I said, cutting what I have is really all I need it for. Renting won't work, that would cost me about the same as the 16". Has anyone ever used or owned this chainsaw or have any advise. Oh yeah Sears has them on sale for $135 (around 32cc I think).

Al Wasser
05-11-2008, 2:18 PM
I suggest you think Stihl. I wouldn't buy anything from Sears cept a frig, washer, dryer or dishwasher. I had a Stihl and it gave up after 25 years of cutting firewood and fenceposts. I suppose I need to buy another one.

Geoff Hanha
05-11-2008, 2:42 PM
If you already have a chainsaw and just cutting up bits why go for another, and you don't want to spend bit contridictory. i have a petrol that i use when i go out for stuff, but the electric suits me fine at home its quiet so much better. and have no problems its 8 yrs old the electric just keep sharpening the chain and oil up.

ryan kelley
05-11-2008, 2:50 PM
The one I have now is small, not enough power, and after two new chains I still can't seem to get more than an inch into the wood and the chain slips of the gear that makes it spin. The logs are 30"x30" and 18"x12"(4 pcs)

Jamie Cowan
05-11-2008, 2:52 PM
Get a small Stihl. The MS 170 with a 14" bar is a nice little saw for under $200. Or even smaller bodied MS 195 (?) arborist saw. If you don't need a really a big bar (and if you've been using an electric, you probably don't), get one of these. Cost is a little more than the Craftsman, but those little Stihl engines are awesome. I had an Echo, and it was awful. Have a Stihl now, and the difference is amazing.

Jamie Cowan
05-11-2008, 2:55 PM
Just read your post again, noticed you said you want a 16" bar. I think you can get a 16" for the MS 170. If not, Stihl has a 16" saw.

Nathan Hawkes
05-11-2008, 5:21 PM
Another vote for the save the $$ for stihl. I own a both stihl and husqvarna's, but I don't know the smaller end of the husky line well; The MS170 Stihl is a decent saw, but is probably still going to be on the small side for what you're describing. The Sears saw is likely going to be a disappointment in the long run. No offense to craftsman; they subcontract out all their machines to different companies, which change every couple years. Its probably a homelite or poulan in disguise. If you're spending a chunk of change, you want it to last more than a few uses.

In regards to your current problem, if your chain is slipping off even with tightening, you have a problem with your saw. Chainsaws use a couple different systems; one has a "spur sprocket" with a wide gear that drives the chain by pushing on the links. The other style has a narrow "rim sprocket" (usually found on higher-end gas powered saws), in which the drive links of the chain fit down into a groove in the sprocket. Whichever you have, it is likely worn and needs to be replaced. If you're throwing chains, something is very wrong, but can easily be fixed. Good luck and be careful with whatever you end up doing.

Allen Neighbors
05-11-2008, 5:31 PM
What Nathan said!

Hilel Salomon
05-11-2008, 7:29 PM
I almost agree with those who recommend Stihl, but............ though I really like the higher end Husy's and Stihls, the cheaper Husky's which you can get at HD or Lowe's or not particularly well made, and I'm hearing unfortunate things about the lower end Stihls as well. The ones made in Germany are superior. If you're looking for an excellent saw, easy to start and one that cuts medium sized logs (15-20" diameter) you should look into the Echo's made in Germany. For about what you would pay for a Sears (probably made by Ryobi (ugh) you can get a very reliable Echo. For big things, I use Huskvarna 372's and Stihl 36 and 660; For smaller logs, especially those I want to make into blanks, I use an Echo 341 and 346 (one is a top handle and the other rear handle) While the 341 may not be as good as the Stihl 200T, it is less than half the price. I got some of mine on Ebay and one at a place called Mayberry's.

Bob Hamilton
05-11-2008, 7:52 PM
I have an electric Poulan that has the same problem with the chain coming off when I try to cut with the bar parallel to the length of the log. The long streamers of shavings clog up the sprocket and the chain pops off. It does not seem to be as bad if I cut with the bar at 45° to the length of the log because the shavings are shorter. I bought a Remington electric and it does not seem to have the same problem with the shavings clogging things up. I did burn the wire off one of the motor brushes somehow and found out that you need to buy a whole new field coil assembly in order to replace the motor brushes. It was only about $15 but it seems like a strange way to build a motor.

Bob

Scott Hurley
05-11-2008, 9:15 PM
I also recommend a Stihl. The last time my Craftsman wouldn't start after a 10-minute rest, I threw it in the trash and sprung for a Stihl MS290. What a dream machine! It starts with the 1st or 2nd pull, and cuts better and straighter than the Craftsman ever did. They are worth every penny!

Scott

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2008, 9:24 PM
Save your money. Don't buy the Sears. I bought the Sears 40cc with a 18" bar and that thing is gutless. You try anything much over 12" and it take forever even with a brand new sharp chain. I bought the Stihl MS 310 and haven't looked back.

Scott Hubl
05-11-2008, 9:50 PM
I bought a Husky 455 Rancher with a 20" bar and am Very pleased with it's performance.
I have cut up Several trailer loads of wood without a problem then cutting them all up for blanks or firewood.http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/sideview_closer.jpg

Always starts by the second pull, if not the first.

Thats a large load of Walnut and some Hickory.
I have cut Maple, Oak, Elm, Box Elder and other woods with it and I'd easily buy the 455 again.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Woodnet/Husky-box-web.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Woodnet/Hushy-web.jpg

Richard Madison
05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Ryan,
Think I posted my standard advice to you on another forum. Gas stabilizer all year and 89 octane.

GLENN THOMAS
05-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Im going to throw in my 2 cents and suggest a Stihl like most everyone else. I bought one because we have them at work (fire dept), we dont use the very often but when we need them they start first or second pull and almost never need to be serviced. I debated between the Stihl and Husky but I was told it is easier to get parts and service for the Stihl if you need to. The Stihl brand 2 cycle oil has a fuel stabalizer so thats another issue you dont have to worry about. They cost a little more than a Crapsman er um I mean Craftsman but by the time you will have to replace the Craftsman next year you will come out ahead.

GT

Reed Gray
05-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know about your craftman saw, but on my Husky and Stihl, after adjusting the chain tension, I have to tighten 2 nuts to keep the bar in place. This will keep the chain tension constant.

One difference between my Husky, and a friends Stihl, is when cutting at altitude (8500 feet), his needed to be adjusted to run leaner, and mine ran fine. Don't have a clue as to why.

robo hippy

Brodie Brickey
05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Ryan,

You want a new chainsaw, but what you need most is to adjust the tension on your current saw. If you're uncomfortable with making the adjustment, stop by a lawnmower repair place and have the set it for you and show you how to properly adjust it. Shouldn't cost more than $20. If the sprocket is all messed up, they may be able to order a new part and just fix the one you have.

Depending on the size of your lathe, you may want to move up to a larger saw in the future.

I have a nice Stihl Farm Boss & a smaller McCullough. Both are good saws. Both require a small amount of maintenance, including remembering to put bar oil in them, and ensuring the chain is properly tensioned.

Wayne Cannon
05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
A lot of the lower-end saws take shortcuts, such as combining the drive sprocket with the brake, that allow chips to get trapped and collect instead of being ejected freely.

Talk with your local small-engine shop or a reputable rental center for good deals on used, but well-maintained, quality-brand chainsaws.

After going through several chainsaws, a chat with my local small engine shop convinced me to use only Stihl or Husky. While the other brands may have some good products, too; they have sold their souls to the big box stores to provide lower-cost products, so you can easily get a saw with sleeve bearings (instead of roller bearings) and other short-lifetime tradeoffs (e.g., pistons/cylinders). In the 15 years since then, none of my Stihl products have had any problems.

Ben Cadotte
05-12-2008, 1:32 PM
I have a 15 year old Stihl Farm Boss 290 with 20" bar. It gets used, put away for a couple years, used, put away a couple years, etc. It still runs as good as when I bought it. Now its at least 2x what you are contemplating for the Sears saw. But I can say from experience that it will last you. FIL used it to clear 5 trees last fall on his new property. Had not been used for 4 months when I cut a tree down in my yard. Sat again for 4 month until 2 weeks ago when I started cutting up more of that tree. Never more than 3 pulls to start!

Gene O. Carpenter
05-12-2008, 6:51 PM
Thinking about ordering one of these, if I can get someone to "buck" for me!:eek:

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGJLoVi-Bg&feature=related

:cool:

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2008, 12:01 PM
The only things I buy from Sears is chocolate covered peanuts and wrenches. If they try to sell you a chainsaw run away as fast as you can toward a place that sells Husky (which I own 3) or Still.....enough said.

Dennis Peacock
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
There's a LOT of homeowners, Arborists, and loggers out there who run chainsaws very frequently. What a lot of us look for is a chainsaw that is

easy to use
easy to start
easy to maintain
doesn't bust the pocketbook for maintenance
very reliable
and will be there when you need it.

There are several name brand saws out there. It all depends on ones budget for a saw. Stihl, Huskqvarna, and Jonsered are THE top chainsaws used by any of the above for decades. I saved my pennies and purchased a Stihl MS-361 Pro saw and have NEVER looked back. I simply got tired of buying the same type of thing over and over......

My saying is: Buy cheap and cry often, buy the best and only cry once. :D

Jake Helmboldt
05-13-2008, 1:09 PM
Craftsman are made by varying companies. But the commonality is that they are all junk, so don't waste your money. If your current saw is adequate then take it to a good shop and see if there is a low cost fix. I'm betting the sprocket is shot. Also, when ripping with a chainsaw you need some clearance between the saw and the log to keep the long stringy shavings from clogging in the saw. You don't want to bury it up to the dogs/case.

Another option is Makita which now owns Dolmar (and the Makitas are simply a rebadged Dolmar), the inventors of the chainsaw. HD rents Makitas and sells their rental units w/ low hours. It is more saw than you need, but Dolmar/Makita does have smaller models as well.

As others have said there are the reputable brands and there is junk. Spend a little extra or look for a used saw in good shape for little more than the Craftsman. Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered (which is part of Husqvarna) are the big three with the majority of the market but other good options you might find are dolmar/Makita, Solo, Echo, Shindaiwa. Look around and you might find a bargain.