PDA

View Full Version : Door bumpers sliding, doors sticking

Randy Redding
05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I have some cabinets made by a local cabinet company. They are very high quality except for one problem. The bumpers they use to keep the doors from wacking the frame slide around and leave a gooey residue, so the doors stick. The bumpers are very thin (<1/8") and about 1/4" diameter. I like them because they are small and don't stand out to the eye. I talked with the supplier and they say it is some sort of interaction between their conversion varnish and the glue on the bumpers. They don't have a solution. The nail/screw types I've seen at the HW stores are too thick/big.

I'm now building some cabinets and want to use a similar sized bumper I also want to replace the ones on the commercial cabinets. Anyone know a brand of small stick-on bumper that doesn't move around?

John-Paul Murphy
05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
If it is the varnish it would be something prior to the complete curing of the varnish. Once the varnish has completely cured the problem should go away. Try cleaning the surface very well and replace with the same bumper.

Jamie Buxton
05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I've never been happy with those stick-on bumpers. I use a kind which doesn't depend on glue. They're soft plastic, shaped kinda like a mushroom. The shaft of the mushroom goes into a 5 mm hole drilled into the door or the cabinet, and the cap does the bumping. They stay in place forever. http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=118-220&search=Bumper It is worthwhile to get a 5 mm drill bit. 3/16" is only 10 thou different, but it doesn't fit right.

Randy Redding
05-11-2008, 2:39 PM
I'll try replacing the ones on my existing cabinets but I will be giving the the mushroom ones for the next cabinets.

Thanks for the advice! I knew I could count on the creek!

Regards,
Randy