PDA

View Full Version : Lamps

Dan Williams
05-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I made this lamp for a person and have no idea what to charge, as I have never sold any turnings. I have always given everything away. Does any one have any ideas on what this lamp is worth or what they would charge.
The lamp is Rer Cedar. It is 18 1/4" h by 6" w. all the lines are burn lines. I also turned a finial for the top that is 4"x 3/4" wide.

I dont know what else to ask for, other than I would like the honest opinon of of other turners

The lamp is not finished as of yet. I have to let the finish cure ( 5 coats Spar Varnish ) and wait for my Beall buffing system to arive befor I can assemble.

Thanks
Dan W

Dan Williams
05-11-2008, 3:41 PM
Here it is with the lamp shade

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2008, 9:28 PM
Boy Dan I am not sure what I would charge either. I always price things to low it seems. Great looking lamp. Well done.

Joseph Peacock
05-11-2008, 9:30 PM
Nice Lamps.:cool:

Dan Williams
05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Boy Dan I am not sure what I would charge either. I always price things to low it seems. Great looking lamp. Well done.

THANK YOU
DAN

Dan Williams
05-11-2008, 10:49 PM

Nice Lamps.:cool:

THANK YOU
DAN

Richard Madison
05-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Dan,

Received the following advice from Raymond Overman a few days ago: "In the past, I've used (width x height x modifier)+material. The modifier is a number between 1 and infinity that I feel my skill level is. In the past year that's between 3 and 4."

Professional or production turners can use their working time plus overhead plus material cost to arrive at their prices. But many of us work more slowly and are perhaps less skilled, so the Econ. 101 approach does not really work, as it tends to yield unrealistically high prices.

Raymond's basic formula gives a rational starting point, as it includes a measure of the "quantity" of turning that was required to make a piece, regardless of how long it took. I have applied it to a number of my small pieces with good result. The "modifier" for a beginning or modestly skilled turner might be in the range of only 1 to 2.

Then ask yourself if the resulting price actually gives a decent or acceptable value to the prospective customer? In other words, will the potential market bear this price?

I tend to be a little too proud of my stuff, and this approach was very helpful in setting some realistic prices that customers would be willing to pay. Hope this might be helpful.

michael gallagher
05-12-2008, 1:12 PM
That's a nice looking lamp. I also have a huge supply of cedar, and you've given me an idea. I'm assuming you've bored a hole the length of the lamp for your cord and the light kit - how did you go about boring an 18" hole?

Dan Williams
05-12-2008, 4:45 PM
That's a nice looking lamp. I also have a huge supply of cedar, and you've given me an idea. I'm assuming you've bored a hole the length of the lamp for your cord and the light kit - how did you go about boring an 18" hole?

You can go down to your local Ace hardware an buy a 3/8" twist drill bit, I think they are about 20"s long.

turn ur lamp let it dry a bit, finish turn, while still in your chuck turn the speed to around 650rpm and move the toolrest up to the top of the lamp to help get the hole started an drill away holding the bit with a pair of vicegrips

Hope this helps

Dan Williams
05-12-2008, 5:07 PM

Michael: don't be suprised though, Cedar is going to crack an there is no stopping that. when you sand wet sand that will help

Mike Golka
05-12-2008, 6:45 PM
drill away holding the bit with a pair of vicegrips

Hope this helps

I wouldn't reccomend this sort of thing:eek: A jacobs chuck in the tail stock or some othe means of holding the bit in case it jambs.

Dan Williams
05-12-2008, 7:34 PM
I made this lamp for a person and have no idea what to charge, as I have never sold any turnings. I have always given everything away. Does any one have any ideas on what this lamp is worth or what they would charge.
The lamp is Rer Cedar. It is 18 1/4" h by 6" w. all the lines are burn lines. I also turned a finial for the top that is 4"x 3/4" wide.

I dont know what else to ask for, other than I would like the honest opinon of of other turners

The lamp is not finished as of yet. I have to let the finish cure ( 5 coats Spar Varnish ) and wait for my Beall buffing system to arive befor I can assemble.

Thanks
Dan W

Lamp W/shade

Dan Williams
05-12-2008, 7:36 PM
Lamp W/shade

I need a course in photography;)

Andrew Derhammer
05-12-2008, 9:25 PM
Alot of live centers have a removable tip that allows a bit for a lamp to pass through.