PDA

View Full Version : No. 5 Rehab

Michael Fross
05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Well, a bit ago my brother gave me an old Stanley No5 a buddy of his was going to throw away.

A little work later, this going to be a nice user.

Rehab work was nothing fancy. Sanded and refinished the handles. Flattened the bottom. Cleaned brass, oiled up everything. Just good general scrubbing....

I'll this an elbow grease gloat (especially since it was free). Shavings are nicely wispy...

Michael

Michael Faurot
05-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Nice job restoring that No.5.

Steve Clardy
05-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Very nice.

Bob Noles
05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I ditto Mr. Clardy!

That will make a sweet user for sure.

Jim Koepke
05-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Very nice.

He was just going to throw it away?

Dang, I have broken bodies I don't throw away.

They make good mounts for knobs and totes to hold them in a vice while sanding and such.

At least that is what my wife is told.:rolleyes:

jim

gary Zimmel
05-11-2008, 1:11 PM
Nice job. It looks like it just came out of a box...

Todd Bin
05-11-2008, 1:20 PM
I have seen lots of used planes around but they are always pretty rusty etc. I am curious how you get the rust off and how you flatten the bottom? Do you use waterstones?

Thanks.

Todd

Michael Fross
05-11-2008, 1:41 PM
I have seen lots of used planes around but they are always pretty rusty etc. I am curious how you get the rust off and how you flatten the bottom? Do you use waterstones?

Thanks.

Todd
Thanks for the kind words!

Todd, while I'm a waterstone user, I don't use it for flattening soles. I use 100grit norton 3x paper on a granite slab. Took about 6 sheets or so, and I worked up a sweat, but it works well.

I was going to flatten and true up the side wings for shooting, until I took a look at how out of square they were. I'm not even going to attempt it as I have many others that work fine. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to pick up the LN #9? :o

As for the rust, I used a soft wirewheel, to get most of the rust off. Brass cleaner for the brass, along with a buffing wheel. The rest was WD40 and a brush, followed up by some citris cleaner. Exposed metal got a good coat of wax.

Lastly, the handles were cleaned by hand using sandpaper. Didn't take as long as I would have thought. Finshed them with a few coats of natural danish oil (Watco) and 3 coats of GF oil/poly top coat.

It's funny. I really looked forward to my time in the basement working on this. Many others would probably think it drudgery, but it was fun. Some times working on tools is as much fun as working on wood!

Michael

Danny Thompson
05-12-2008, 10:36 AM
No paint? The japanning looks solid!

The knob and tote look great, too. Inspiring work.

Hank Knight
05-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

It's funny. I really looked forward to my time in the basement working on this. Many others would probably think it drudgery, but it was fun. Some times working on tools is as much fun as working on wood!

Michael

I agree completely. That's why my wife rolls her eyes when I tell people I build furniture for a hobby. :rolleyes:

Nice job on the 5.

Hank

Jim Koepke
05-12-2008, 1:13 PM

I am finding the same thing. When we move, I am hoping there is enough room to set aside an area just for doing metal work.

Not too long ago, it was not my desire to do much more than get a plane into working order. Then a couple of planes were bought that were pretty rusty so a citric acid bath was given a try. Decided to repaint the two.
After they were back in working order, the feel of the smooth paint against my hand while using them was very noticeably improved over any of my other planes. It felt so good, that now I am considering doing a large batch of my planes. This is on hold until there is more time and space in my life.

jim

Ken Werner
05-12-2008, 1:28 PM
The wood looks especially nice. Was the wood painted black when you started?

Real nice rehab.

Ken

Michael Fross
05-12-2008, 1:41 PM
The wood looks especially nice. Was the wood painted black when you started?

Real nice rehab.

Ken
Thanks.

I'm not sure if it was paint or a deep black laquer of some kind. I believe the plane is a type 19 made by Stanley from 1948 - 1961.

Randy Klein
05-12-2008, 7:47 PM
Wow, that doesn't even look like the same plane. Nice job.