PDA

View Full Version : What a thrill it is after 4 years to finally...

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
be using my shop to build something for the first time!

4 years ago, I started building this shop as you may remember. The empty shell was done by mid-July. I painted it, installed the electrical, insulated it, covered the walls.........AND THEN THE TURNERS STRUCK! Well for the next 18 months, I was in the Vortex and couldn't find my way out. Last September I finally got a temporary reprieve from the bottomless turning pit and began finishing the shop. It's finally painted.....the lights are up....the DC is installed......(but I'm going to make some minor changes on the hookup to my tablesaw) and today I started using the shop for the purpose it was made.

I began constructing my first shop cabinets. What a joy it was. I had a wobble dado blade and hated the results. I had purchased a Freud stacked set and they had been sitting for 2 years unused. What a joy it was to use them today. The results were as you would want and desire.

I've got some Mother's Day obligations but tomorrow without too much effort I should complete my first shop wall cabinet.

What a kick it was to set up a tool...use it.....have most of the dust picked up by the DC and get the results I wanted. I can nitpick joints as tightly as I want considering the dynamic medium wood is.

After I have the first one is completed I will gladly submit photos .....but for now I'm just enjoying the process!:)

Lance Norris
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Ken... Im sure there are many of us here, who our largest project ever have been our shops. I can finally(after almost 2 years of tool collecting and jig making) look around at my shop and think to myself...cool. I have the machines I want, setup the way I need them, and have the jigs and accessories I need to build the projects I like to build. I am one of the lucky ones.

Jacob Reverb
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
That's good news...now go cut some wood and enjoy!

J. Z. Guest
05-11-2008, 2:09 AM
Congratulations Ken. Distractions abound, whether it is from turning, watching TV, excessive posting at Sawmill Creek, or other hobbies. Kudos for finally cutting through it all.

John Keeton
05-11-2008, 7:25 AM
Ken

For the last 4 years, you thought the world was round. Now, you can see the light and finally realize that the world is flat - square - rectangle, a box - oh heck, maybe it was round to begin with!!

Congratulations on the newfound freedom! I have dedicated this year to getting my shop brought "up to standards" so I can get where Lance and others are. Still have a ways to go, but making progress.

Bob Slater
05-11-2008, 7:39 AM
Well done....of course your shop will never really be finished!
I got my shop about a year ago and can relate to your story. Mine is about 80% ready. Still have to redo the floor to make it level, paint, add HVAC, really enjoying the process of building it the way I want. Hope to take a welding course in the next month, so excited about adding another dimension to the Hobby of woodworking!

Jim Becker
05-11-2008, 9:02 AM
Welcome back to the "Flat" side of things, Ken!! LOL

Tyler Howell
05-11-2008, 9:15 AM
I don't see any cabinets?????
Aint happening!!!!:mad::D:D
Congrats Ken. I know some of your struggle.
Enjoy

Keith Outten
05-11-2008, 9:35 AM
Good news Ken, go get em :)

gary Zimmel
05-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Ken

Congatulations on getting the shop finished. (until the next upgrade...)

Can't wait to see the cabinets finished. Welcome back to the other side!

David Duke
05-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Way to go Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back to the flat world..............

Joe Chritz
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I usually look around the shop and right after saying "man, I need to clean up" I think, "This is gonna be rough when I have to change the layout again."

The shell is the prototype and they keep improving with age.

Joe

John Revilla
05-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Are you sure you are done? One word: Festool! Congrats Ken. Godspeed.

Ben Cadotte
05-11-2008, 12:25 PM
My question is, what is the cabinet going to be used for? TURNING tools. :eek:

:D:D My shop is several years away from even being considered finished, or for that matter half way to being finished. :cool: But just started getting serious again, and just moved to larger space. Still figuring it out.

Sounds like your have a good time in the shop. Congrats. :p

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2008, 1:28 AM
Today, I worked 1/2 day and played 1/2 day.

I managed to build a Norm crosscut/panel jig for my table saw and I finished cutting the parts and assembling the carcass of my first wall cabinet. Now I have to build the faceframe and install the french cleat and then hang it.

A word to the wise based on todays personal experience. On the cabinet that I built, the top is installed in a dado 3/4 from the tops of the sides. The back is installed in a 1/2" dado 3/4" in from the back of the sides and it butts up against the top. When you check the width of a dado, make sure you use a piece of the wood you are going to put in that dado. I sized my 1/2" dado for the back using a scrap piece of plywood. Guess what....it's not quite as thick as the 46"x48" piece of plywood that I used for the back. I used glue in the dado as a lubricant...and it worked....with ample application of an 8 lb. sledge and a scrap of wood. When I was done, the carcass measured 68 5/16" from corner to corner in one direction and 68 3/8" from corner to corner in the other direction. I'm not a perfectionist. That was close enough! Whew! That back isn't coming off!

Now to construct the faceframe and install the french cleats. Then the doors.

John Keeton
05-13-2008, 6:54 AM
The bigger the mistake, the bigger the hammer it takes to fix it!! That's how I ended up with a MUCH larger sledge hammer!!

John Thompson
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
It's never really done Ken as there is always something that is still pops up as yesterday when I needed two additional re-saw point fences taller than I already have. Just a couple of hours but still....

But.. it is a great joy to basically finish it so that a small distraction here and there doesn't eliminate building time to any significant degree. It was almost like doing a stint behind bars and having a view of others doing projects outside. I just wanted to be free to build pieces... not shops..

But... that day arrived quite awhile ago and the sunshine is lovely... quite lovely indeed! :)

Good luck...

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
05-13-2008, 1:10 PM
This thread is WORTHLESS without pics!!!! :D

;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2008, 1:37 PM
After I have the first one is completed I will gladly submit photos .....but for now I'm just enjoying the process!:)

Uh....Chris..........:D

Chris Padilla
05-13-2008, 1:43 PM
Uh....Ken.....:D I still stand by my post..... :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2008, 1:56 PM
You might want to lean on it.....this may take a while!:eek::D