PDA

View Full Version : 240v Long Ranger on 120v?

Wade Lippman
05-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Any idea if the 240v Long Ranger remote switch will work on 120v; with the appropriate plug changes of course. The question is, I suppose, if the electronics are actually 240v or 120v to the ground.

There is one in CL and I would like a remote for my vacuum.

Rob Russell
05-11-2008, 6:36 AM
I think the point is whether your DC/vacuum is 120v or 240v - that's what you'd need.

You'd have to ask the LR folks if you can do what you want to. It's possible that the relay inside the unit has a coil voltage that matches the line and, if that's the case, the 240v unit would not work on a 120v line.

Dave Lehnert
05-11-2008, 8:19 PM
Not sure what size your dust collector is but Shopsmith has one for a good price.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/remote_switch.htm

Wade Lippman
05-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Not sure what size your dust collector is but Shopsmith has one for a good price.

I was excited by the price until I saw it was 8a. It won't last too long on my 12a vacuum. Though the vacuum ramps up over about 3 seconds, so it might be okay.

Scott Kepner
05-14-2008, 2:11 PM
Call the folks at Penn Industries and speak to their technical department. I don't think you can simply convert the 220v for 110v due to the internal electronics.

I use Penn Industries because they sell and support the units.

Ken Werner
05-14-2008, 2:43 PM
Wade, that shopsmith remote is 120V.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2008, 3:22 PM

Hmmm, 120 V @ 8 A is nearly a kilowatt of power handling capability.

I've been using lamp control modules to connect to the 120 V coil on my contactor that in turn runs my DC (240 V, 5 HP Leeson motor). I've been having bad luck lately with these lamp control modules going south on me. I can't imagine a 120 V coil draws that much current but something is buggering them up and maybe a beefier "lamp control module" would help?

It is either that or I'm putting a simple switch for the DC and forget this remote control stuff.... I wonder if they sell additional remotes for this sucker?

Chris Padilla
05-14-2008, 3:28 PM
I was excited by the price until I saw it was 8a. It won't last too long on my 12a vacuum. Though the vacuum ramps up over about 3 seconds, so it might be okay.

Well, you could use the remote switch to run a contactor that can handle the current you need.

I'm doing that although I'm not having good luck with these remote switches lately as I alluded to in my post above.

Steve knight
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
no thats wqorse. the instant on like a tablesaw is not so bad. a dc draws more current spinning up. my long ranger was rated 15 amps I think the same as the dc motor but right before the motor kicked to full speed it would pop the breaker. the power draw is longer and more on a dc then most tools in the shop.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm not familier with the Long Ranger product, but am assuming that it is just a magnetic switch wired into a remote sensor. If thats correct, I don't know of any normal ways that you can make a single phase control circut carry any more than 120 volts. It's possible, but expensive and pointless to do so. The power for the control usually draws off one leg of a single phase system, so 240 or 120 shouldn't matter. The others have a good point about the load capacity of the contacts though. Voltage goes down, amps go up. Easy to check the contact to see it's capacity though.

If you end up with it, and it is under rated, as Chris mentioned, use it as a remote relay for a bigger set of contacts, which should be really easy to set up.

Jason Beam
05-15-2008, 3:03 PM
Hey Wade?

Have you seen this 120v remote?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Remote-Control-110V-75-Range/H2797

i use the 220v version on my DC and it does perfectly fine. I guess i'm confused becuase i thought that there was a 120v long ranger, too, but is that not the case?

Chris Padilla
05-15-2008, 5:29 PM
Well, I just happen to glance at the load carrying ability of my most recent "lamp control module" and guess what it said on it:

120 V @ 8 A!!

Crumb!! I may need something like the 120 V Long Ranger (yes, Jason, there is a 120 V Long Ranger) and those suckers are around $70 delivered. Sigh...looks like I'll be wiring up a 99-cent SPST light switch to my contactor now.... :D

Chris Padilla
05-15-2008, 5:33 PM
Hey Wade?

Have you seen this 120v remote?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Remote-Control-110V-75-Range/H2797

i use the 220v version on my DC and it does perfectly fine. I guess i'm confused becuase i thought that there was a 120v long ranger, too, but is that not the case?

Hey, that Griz remote switch ain't too bad at $45 and s/h/tax. However, 120 V * 8 A is 960 W whereas 1.5 HP is only 1120 W.

I must be having some other issues with my remote switches failing on me...hmmm...EE degree needs to kick in here and figure it out....