PDA

View Full Version : Videos for Library

Joe Pack
02-13-2003, 6:41 PM
Sorry if this is posted several places; I'm not sure who posts where yet, and I don't want to miss any ideas.

Our local library is open to purchasing instructional videos that customers would like to see. I would like to give them a list of woodworking videos covering general woodworking, joinery, cabinet making, turning, etc. I have seen a few, but certainly nowhere near all. If you were compiling a library of, say, 10 videos, what would you be sure to include?

John Sanford
02-13-2003, 8:33 PM
Mind you, I don't know for sure which of these are available, but here's two suggestions.

Dovetail a Drawer by Franz Klausz - Taunton Press. By all accounts this is one of the best.

Hand Applied Finishes by Jeff Jewitt - Taunton Press

Hopefully some other folks will chime in...

Jim Fuller
02-14-2003, 8:15 AM
Joe, I have a couple, but the one I really like is an Ernie Conover tape on turning for furniture. I think it is about an hour long, and goes from beginner to advance.

Pam Niedermayer
02-15-2003, 7:28 PM
Anything by Jim Kingshott.

Pam

Jim Fuller
02-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey Pam, glad to see you made it over here.

Ruby in NC
02-16-2003, 4:31 AM
Turning Wood with Richard Raffan is a good one. The video and book would be a good combination for the library. Don't have them yet, but plan to get other turning videos by Richard.

Good luck with your project. Wish our local library would place more emphasis on DYI.

Regards,
Ruby

Ron Jones near Indy
02-17-2003, 10:50 PM
2 or 3 good videos. If you're interested in turning, they are hard to beat.

Pam Niedermayer
02-18-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Jim Fuller
Hey Pam, glad to see you made it over here.

Yes, thanks to you. :)

Glen Johnson
09-01-2010, 8:01 PM
I would recommend Leonard Lee's video on Sharpening.

Tony Shea
09-01-2010, 8:44 PM
I found the Chris Schwarz video "Coarse, Medium, and Fine" to really break me through dimensioning lumber with planes a much quicker task. I just explains the different purposes for the different size and shape planes in order to get your stock true and flat. But this is assuming you're interested in including doing these tasks by hand.

I also enjoyed Frank Klausz's mortising video.

Steve Branam
09-01-2010, 9:36 PM
"Handplane Basics - A Better Way to Use Bench Planes", by Christopher Schwarz. This is my favorite of his videos, distills things down very well.

Gary Hodgin
09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I have a cabinet full of videos and I agree with Pam that any of Jim Kingshott's videos are worth viewing. He has four or five. I would also add Kelly Mehler's video on building a shaker table, a really good project video that emphasis the process of making a piece of furniture.