PDA

View Full Version : Early Mother's Day for my Wife

Ken Vonk
05-10-2008, 7:32 PM
I made this pen for my wife this weekend. It's maple burl and turquoise and is finished with CA. I dry sanded too about 4000 and then wet sanded to 12000. Let me know your opinions and if you have any tips, tricks or suggestions. This is only about the 20 pen I have made and the second of this type.

Thanks,

Ken

Ron McKinley
05-10-2008, 7:45 PM
Nice work Ken! My wife keeps telling me to make pens but I never see to get aroundtoit.......Ron

Steve Busey
05-10-2008, 9:07 PM
Interesting look, Ken! Did you buy the blank like that, or make it yourself? If the latter, can you share how you made it?

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2008, 9:41 PM
Ken that is a great looking pen. She is going to love it.

Greg Just
05-10-2008, 9:49 PM
Nice job Ken

Ken Vonk
05-10-2008, 9:54 PM
Steve, I made the pen my self. I had a piece of maple burl too small for a bowl so I cut some 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" pen blanks. I cut to length for the pen, drilled and glued in the tube. I roughed it down to nearly the finished shape and then used my parting tool to cut off the end of the maple down to the tube. I mixed 5 minute epoxy with some crushed turquoise and kept spreading it until it set up enough to stay in place...lol. After a couple of hours I used a scraper to smooth it down and finished the shape with a skew on it's side. Had to resharpen very often :p

Ken

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Ken - that is a beautiful pen! Love the color combination! Your wife is going to love it! Very nice work!

Ben Gastfriend
05-11-2008, 9:45 AM
I agree with all the above. Great pen. THe turquoise adds so much.

Steve Mellott
05-11-2008, 1:54 PM
Ken:

Very nice work! I understand you made the blank, but which pen kit did you use? Thanks.

Steve

Ken Vonk
05-11-2008, 9:33 PM
Steve, It's made from a Artisan Rollerball kit from Craft Supplies USA. Another forum I belong to had a pen exchange. We exchanged kits and blanks, made up the kit and then sent it back to the original owner. The guy I swapped with was kind enough to send two kits.....this is the one that didn't get sent back to him.

Ken