PDA

View Full Version : Military help/pointers?

Steven Smith
05-10-2008, 7:02 PM
I need to make pen box sets for a family friends in the U.S. military.
Specifically a reliable guide for rank/name/title conventions, I've found different sites but they seem to contradict each other. Many thanks!

Craig Hogarth
05-10-2008, 8:02 PM
not sure what you mean by title conventions, but wiki should be able to help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_grade

Don Abele
05-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Steven, I've been in the Navy for nearly 22 years and have served several times at Tri-service commands. So I'm familiar with all of the services rank structures. And if I can't answer it, I have a protocol office at work that can. Please post the specifics and I'll help you out as best I can.

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Steven,

If you mean US Military ranks and titles...check this link out...it's Navy but lists all branches of the US military:

http://www.nps.navy.mil/Code22/milrank.htm

BTW....Don would know...he just proudly made the rank of E-9! I'm right aren't I Master Chief Abele?:D

Don Abele
05-10-2008, 10:31 PM
By conventions I think he's referring to something like this:

Rate: CMDCM
Warfare: Submarine
Service: US Navy
Name: Donald B. Abele

So that would be listed as:

CMDCM(SS) Donald B. Abele, USN

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
05-10-2008, 10:32 PM
BTW....Don would know...he just proudly made the rank of E-9! I'm right aren't I Master Chief Abele?:D

:D:D:D Yes you are Ken :D:D:D

Be well,

Doc

Peter Meacham
05-11-2008, 9:57 AM
Congratulations Master Chief Abele and thanks for serving!!!!!!

And Thanks to all our Armed Forces and Veterans for serving - You are the best.

AL Ursich
05-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I am a Retired Navy Fire Control Chief. I have a shop clock that was an error doing a Sublimated Air Force clock. A reminder next to my Sublimation press to check spelling....

AL FCC(SW) Retired

Steven Smith
05-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Steven, I've been in the Navy for nearly 22 years and have served several times at Tri-service commands. So I'm familiar with all of the services rank structures. And if I can't answer it, I have a protocol office at work that can. Please post the specifics and I'll help you out as best I can.

Be well,

DocI need to know if this looks correct as written:

Capt Bill Jackson, MC, USAF

thank you!

Don Abele
05-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Steven, does he go by Bill? I go by Don, but for my formal title I always use Donald.

The Navy is the only service that capitalizes all the letters in a rank. All the rest use proper case.

For officers that are in a specialty branch (like medical corps), it gets annotated prior to their service.

So your example is spot on!

Be well,

Doc

Mike Hood
05-11-2008, 3:57 PM
ATCS(AW/SW) Mike Hood, USN Retired :D

Ed Newbold
05-12-2008, 7:30 AM
I need to know if this looks correct as written:

Capt Bill Jackson, MC, USAF

thank you!
What's the "MC" part?

Edward F. Newbold, MSgt (Ret), USAF

Peter Meacham
05-12-2008, 9:03 AM
Ed

I think it means Medical Corps

Dewey Torres
05-12-2008, 11:23 AM
The Navy is the only service that capitalizes all the letters in a rank. All the rest use proper case.

DOC,
I believe the Army uses all caps in the rank also.:)

Dewey

Mike Null
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
The Coast Guard as well--I think.

Ray Mighells
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Click into US Military and State ABBREVIATIONS and Acronyms for the straight poop from DOD.

Steven Smith
05-12-2008, 1:32 PM
yes... Medical Corps

Don Abele
05-12-2008, 2:28 PM
...I believe the Army uses all caps in the rank also...

The Coast Guard as well--I think.

I answered that from home (and from my feeble memory)...you guys made me go and look it up today at work.

The Navy, USCG (same rank system) and the Army use all uppercase in their title conventions. The Air Force and Marines use a mix of upper and lower case. While the names of the ranks are the same for the Army, Air Force, and Marine, the abbreviation for them is different for each service.

So, for the example given Capt is correct for the Air Force.

Be well,

Doc

Ralph Lindberg
05-13-2008, 9:58 AM
If you are in need of correct pen parts, I would reccomend Wood Pen Pro, for Rank and Rating (http://www.woodpenpro.com/patriot_clips/index.html) clips