PDA

View Full Version : PM Tail Stock Swing-Away Option - Is It Worth It?

Jeff Wright
05-10-2008, 4:41 PM
I recently got a new PM3520B. What are your thoughts about adding the Butler swingaway option shown here:

http://www.butlerturning.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=28

Are there other options that might serve my needs better? I don't have any interest in building my own swing-away mechanism.

Gordon Seto
05-10-2008, 5:01 PM
Not that I have experienced with this option, the swing-away is OK with long lathe bed with fixed headstock like Oneway. With sliding headstock which allows you to hollow from the end of the lathe, the swing-away tail stock is still in the way.
If you want to spend money to solve a problem, I would rather it works most of the time, like a tilt away:
http://www.turnrobust.com/Tilt_Away.html
Or:
I have also seen someone made a free standing section of lathe bed on a cart for the tailstock to park there; then roll the whole cart out of the way.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2008, 5:56 PM
Jeff,

I bought the 18" bed extension with my PM3520B. With it placed at bed height, I can move the tailstock away from the work area when I don't want it in my way....don't have to lift it up or down.....and can turn up to 53" with it in place and can still mount the extension in the lower position......slide the headstock to the end and turn 30" in diameter.

Jeff Wright
05-10-2008, 6:32 PM
Jeff,

I bought the 18" bed extension with my PM3520B. With it placed at bed height, I can move the tailstock away from the work area when I don't want it in my way....don't have to lift it up or down.....and can turn up to 53" with it in place and can still mount the extension in the lower position......slide the headstock to the end and turn 30" in diameter.

Ken, I am considering buying the extension also. I can get it for $225 at pro.woodworker.com including the tool rest holder. However, having that doesn't solve the issue of getting the tail stock out of the way if I want to turn a piece by moving the head stock to the right side end and turn a larger bowl and have better access to the workpiece than if I attempted to turn it over the ways, right? I'd still have to lug it on and off the bed.

JerHall
05-10-2008, 9:14 PM
I think some sort of system is well worth it unless you are young and muscled and can remove and install it in a breeze. I don't want to hesitate and work around the tailstock, or sacrifice good tool technique.

This link from the MustardMonster site has a bunch of ideas:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_31hpg89x&revision=_latest

I built the "Swing Away and Down" shown on the site. It gets the tailstock out of the way for 90% of my situations. More important I don't hesitate and do workarounds when it is more convenient to just quickly and easily have the tailstock out of the way. Getting it out and down makes a big difference I believe. It is nice for boxes when I use the tailstock and then swing it away a couple times for each box.

Here is a slide show with details on my system:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jerhall95945/SwingAwayAndDownTailstockForPM3520
Again, it is not perfect in that it is of wood and wobbles a bit, but for all practical purposes it works great, and has done so for a year.

Hope this helps!

Eventually I will have to weld up a metal version. The plywood and gate hinge I used was a proof of concept. But it has held up for a year. I wouldn't be without it. I think the cart is the next best shop built idea, with ways on the cart that match up to the lathe ways, with maybe a clamping and indexing system to affix it consistently to the 3520. For years I used an artist's chair, raised to the highest level. That did ok, but it fell off once. If you are going to pay big bucks I would look at the Robust if they will adapt it to the 3520. Or maybe Butler will look at all those designs and come up with a next generation solution that swings away and down. Hope so.

Jeff Wright
05-10-2008, 9:57 PM
Jerry, thanks for the detailed tour-de-force of some neat solutions. I'm surprised that some enterprising metal worker hasn't come up with a total solution for the 3520. There are so many of us out there that it could be a worthwhile item to market.

I've got some sturdy beams overhead. Maybe I'll rig up a pulley system and hoist the tail stock above my head when not in use!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Jeff,

Maybe I'm not using it correctly. I'm right handed. I put the extension at the right end of the lathe. I turn over the bed. If I want to turn something say 30" in diameter, I mount the extension at the lower position and I slide the headstock to the right end of the lathe and turn it. I haven't found need to swivel the headstock yet. I can't imagine turning anything larger that the 30" allowed over the extension.:confused:

John Sheets
05-11-2008, 8:21 PM
Jeff,
I did a variation of what you were considering with the hoist. I rigged a piece of 2" square tubing to create an arm that pivots on a big bolt, and that's attached to a beam that's conveniently above the lathe. I then use a small block and tackle to lift the tailstock (hook it on with couple of nylon straps) , pivot it out of the way, let it down on the floor. When I'm done, just lift it up again with the b/t, roatate back to the original precise position, and slide back on the ways.
This may sound a little more fussy to use than it really is. Takes about two minutes to get the tailstock completely out of the way. Bad back and two previous hernia surgeries have finally led me to say "no more lifting, period."

Rich Souchek
05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Jeff,
There are thousands of ways to spend more money on lathes, the real question is is their some particular reason that you need this feature.
If you do, and it works, then go for it.
I, personally, feel it is just another gadget to part me with my $ and help someone else make some extra $.
The tailstock on my 3520B is not heavy. I just pick it up and do whatever I want with it. Yes, I'm 54 and it is heavier than it used to be. But if I don't use my muscles now, then I will soon lose them. So, I chose stuff to keep me using muscles to keep what I have and to keep flexible.
If I had a sholder injury, for instance, that prevented this, then that's a different story, right?
rich S.

Hilel Salomon
05-12-2008, 7:20 AM
As someone w/two back operations behind me, I too don't relish the idea of picking the tailstock up and carrying it or even worse, putting it on the ground. At HF, I got a mobile mechanics tray which has varying height capacity. I roll it to the PM and take the tailstock off. There is still an element of lifting, but it is very minor and takes seconds. I think that on sale, the mechanics' tray cost about $30. It also serves to hold a tray for my lathe chisels when I'm too lazy (all the time) to put them back into my shelf.
Incidentally, where can you get the extension, including tool rest for $225?
Luck, Hilel.

Gordon Seto
05-12-2008, 8:36 AM
When you want to take advantage of the sliding headstock which allows you to hollow from the end of the lathe, you still need to take the tail stock off.

That is the advantage of the short bed bowl lathe or pivoting head stock, no leaning forward to strain the back in hollowing.

Bed extension allows you to turn longer or bigger swing items, depending on what level you install it. It is no light weight either.

Pete Jordan
05-12-2008, 9:52 AM
I just ordered the Swing Away. I will let you know how it works.

JerHall
05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Gordon,

I agree, any swing away solution which still requires you to frequently lift off the tail stock is a serious limitation.

As the picture shows the Swing Away and Down gets the tail stock out below center line and 19" away from the axis, and behind the end of the bed. This does not get in the way of hollowing for me. Maybe it would for some of the captured rigs, I don't know. This solution would still allow mounting the bed extension at the lower setting on a 3520B I believe. I don't think swing away and down would limit the size or depth or form of a turning.

I timed it and it is under 10 seconds to remove or reinstall the tail stock. That is what you want so the tail stock becomes an easily used fixture, not an obstacle that you tend to say, "Darn, do I really have to remove it?"

I have less than $30 into it. I am selling the idea for $0.00 . I hope to get rich on volume of sales. Maybe someone will build a metal one. I would pay bucks for that.

The cart is the easiest decent solution, but it is still not near as fast to change it out. Maybe if the Cart was hinged and indexed to the ways it would make a fast solution that would get it well out of the way.