PDA

View Full Version : Wally Dickerman Lesson

Ken Vonk
05-10-2008, 4:14 PM
Here is the second Hollow Form I have attempted. The first was a segmented vase. For this one I had the privilage to spend about 5 hours with Wally Dickerman. Wally was kind enough to let me use his tools and his new lathe and to teach me the basics of hollow form turning. Did you ever wish for a photographic memory? :D I was doing well and was hollowing out the bottom area when I had a catch. I broke the walnut collar. Unfortunately, I couldn't spend enough time at Wally's to finish the hollow form. When I got it home to Arkansas I decided to cut the walnut collar off, rather than try to repair it. Then I decided to try to make a lid with a finial. This is my first finial and I would very much appreciate your comments and opinions on the finial and hollow form.

Thanks,

Ken

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2008, 4:43 PM
Ken - that is one nice hollow form! Great shape, wood grain and finish! Your finial works quite well and improvements/variations are always a matter of taste. Stick with the basics of what you are doing but don't be afraid to experiment with form.

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing some more!

Oh, I forgot - it would be nice to include dimensions just so we have something to gage things to.

Glenn Hodges
05-10-2008, 4:51 PM
Ken, you were smart to go to the master to take lessons, and it shows in this lovely piece. You chose wisely in the wood, and the form, but I am not one for the tall finial. That is just my preference. Thanks for letting me see it, I really like it. In the future the perspective would be more inhanced if the dimensions of the piece were given.

Ken Vonk
05-10-2008, 5:44 PM
Thanks guys. Glen, I appreciate the comments. I just made the finial on a whim. I didn't study up on proportions or anything regarding finials. The hollow form is about 4 3/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" tall. The finial is about 2 1/4" in diameter at the base, the bottom "whoop-dee-do" is about 7/8" and the tip sticks up about 3 1/4" above the hollow form. The hollow form is maple and the finial is walnut.

Come on all you experts...... what would you do different or change?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2008, 5:50 PM
Ken,

Very nice 2nd HF! I really like the form of the finial but to me it's too big for the HF it's on. It almost seems to overpower the HF itself. Keep in mind this is a matter of personal opinion and worth everything you paid of it. :rolleyes:

But for someone realitively new to turning.....You are doing very well and show signs of considerable talent! Nicely done sir!

Ken Vonk
05-10-2008, 7:24 PM
Thanks Ken. I appreciate the input. Would you guys just make it shorter? Should I have made the steps more delicate and perhaps equally spaced?

It's great fun learning something new. Thanks for your help.

Ken

Bruce Pennell
05-10-2008, 7:35 PM
Wally is a great guy. I wish I got tap into all his turning knowledge, he gave a sharpening lesson today at SAZWA (http://www.sazwa.org/) meeting. Also sold me a couple of tools. Very nice person, he said he started turning in 1934, but had to quit for a while because of the war. Couldn't take his lathe on the ship. He is full of knowledge and great stories, also knows a lot of turners.

Richard Madison
05-10-2008, 7:57 PM
Ken,
Beautiful shape on the hf, and I like the way that the base of the finial flows into the hf shape. You can try some various finial designs. Not sure this one "goes with" the hf. Have a couple that did not look great on the pieces for which they were originally intended, but looked much better with some different pieces.

On lidded boxes with finials, Cindy Drozda says she likes either more finial and less box, or vice-versa. Not sure if that helps any.

Meanwhile, you made a beautiful piece and are off to a great start with hollow forms.

Ben Gastfriend
05-10-2008, 9:37 PM
Very nice. I can't find anything wrong with the finial.

Dennis Puskar
05-10-2008, 9:51 PM
Very nice I like the wood, finish and form but I think the final is just a little to tall.

Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Ken that is a great looking HF for your second. I agree that the finial is a little big but keep in mind this is my opinion. I would have made it about a inch shorter and left the second bead or step as you call it off. Cindy Drozda has a good DVD Elegant Finials which is excellent. She takes you thru each step of the way.

You did a great job on both. I wish my first's would have looked that good.

Ken Vonk
05-11-2008, 3:10 PM
Thanks to all for you help and for looking. I didn't know that Cindy Drozda had a DVD. I'll have to put that on my birthday / father's day list..lol

Ken

robert hainstock
05-11-2008, 3:23 PM
Realy bice Hf, and realy, realy nice finial. wheather or not they go together is ????????? Art is always in the eye of the beholder. :eek::):):)
Bob

Richard Madison
05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Good point, Robert. And lots of beholder eyes are a lot better than mine. There's a "Cindy" video on the Woodworking Channel under AAW tab.