PDA

View Full Version : Wood to pair with satin nickel finish?

Aaron Buys
05-10-2008, 1:42 PM
I just picked up a few Baron pen kits and ended up buying some satin nickel finish kits rather than the chrome I usually get. Upon turning some kingwood barrels (which look really nice with the chrome) and setting them next to the nickel parts, I can't quite bring myself to assemble them with the dark colored wood. For those of you that make Baron's with the satin nickel finish, what wood looks best with it?

robert hainstock
05-10-2008, 2:35 PM
Gee Arron, I usually prefer the darker woods with satin pens, (color contrast.) I really don't know what to tell you other than that. Good luck! :)
Bob

Richard Venturelli
05-10-2008, 2:40 PM
Maple would look good. Not sure how well it turns though.

Ben Gastfriend
05-10-2008, 3:27 PM
I have to say go with a darker wood. I used ebony with some satin nickel once, and it looked awfully good.

keith zimmerman
05-10-2008, 3:46 PM
Aaron, I like dark woods with the silver color of nickel. Koa looks good, Blackwood looks good, as does something like Texas ebony or Wenge. Contrast is the key here, so you need to decide on a wood that will contrast with the nickel. Personally, I don't think a light wood works with a nickel finish.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

keithz

Mark Hix
05-10-2008, 6:03 PM
I just took an order for three pens. For two of them, he picked satin nickle finish and thuya. At first I thought that they would not look good together. He did not want the really glossy finish and now that they are done, I like them. I made a third one to show.