PDA

View Full Version : PRE-GLOAT / GLOAT - you decide...

Steve Kolbe
05-10-2008, 6:36 AM
Hello, creekers!

I have a couple new additions to my little tool family tonight. Both of which I need a little help in determining how to proceed with them.

The first is a Delta band / belt sander. It is model #SA180. It has a 1 x 42 inch belt with an 8 inch sanding wheel to one side as well. This thing seems very new and very well taken care of. Is this a decent light duty sander? Do any of the Creeker Republic have this sander?

The second new addition is rgis (see images below). from what I can tell online, it is a 1946-ish 14 inch band saw from Delta. ALL ORIGINAL PARTS still. The crazy thing still works in it's current state too - even the plug for the engine, which scares me to plug it in. The blade is broken, the tires need to be replaced. I want to build a belt guard for the motor. Heck, I want to get a larger motor anyways - maybe 1 or 1.5 HP. That's the EASY stuff... I want to try to add a fence to thins table as well. And I have NO idea about how to replace the blade guides (if need be). I'd LOVE to be able to get a riser for it, but I am having a hard time imagining anything other than an additional cast iron insert that could support the heavy head of it. Anyone know where to start looking additional information up on re-working "old iron"?

I am very excited to have this particular band saw in the shop. I love the history behind it and how HEAVY it is! Both of these new additions were FREE for me to get them home - I just had to go get them. The sander is fine - ready to be put to duty. I know the band saw needs plenty of attention before I can really use, but I knew it was a project when I grabbed it. It will be an fun learning experience to get it back into a workable state.

Darren Brown
05-10-2008, 1:10 PM
Steve,

You got that band saw for free?!!!! AAAAAARG! I have the exact same one, and believe me, it wasn't free. I rehabbed mine completely, so if I can help you at all along the way, I will try. You can get replacement parts for it from Delta, although their website has become almost completely unusable. Acetoolrepair.com also has parts and an exploded diagram of the saw. It is a 28-205. McMasterCarr.com is also your Friend. I can tell you right off that you're going to need a table insert and a table alignment pin. Then hunt down the person who gave your saw the all over black spray can job and give them a swift slap to the back of the head. Do yourself a favor and have it sandblasted, (everything but the table as the table surface will be etched if not masked properly). I have some extra thumb screws which will fit your guide column as McMasterCarr only sells them by the box. I could be convinced to throw a couple in an envelope for you if you give me your address.

Good luck,

Darren Brown

Barry Reade
05-10-2008, 2:32 PM
Congrats Steve, I for one am very happy for you.:D Maybe one of these days I will have something nice like that to happen but, until then I am just thankful and say my prayers that I live in the USA.:) What Darren said about sand blasting and properly finishing the saw. It will be sweet when you have refurbished it. Darren, could you post a picture of your refurbished saw for all to see?

Darren Brown
05-10-2008, 6:56 PM
Hey,

Here's some pics of the saw I restored.

88207 88210

Darren

Steve Kolbe
05-11-2008, 9:23 AM
Wow! Darren, that looks GREAT! I assume you can fill me in on where to get that particular paint color as well?

I am looking forward to the process of refinishing this beast too. How does one get the parts sand-blasted? Did yours come with the belt guard?

Did you put a larger motor on yours? Like I said, I'd LIKE to go up to 1 HP or maybe 1.5 HP, if you think the saw can handle it...

Joe Chritz
05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
You can do it in the driveway with a siphon blaster and a bag of sand or you can check the yellow pages for a sandblaster. Ask around at an autoparts store, someone will know someone who does it.

It is messy but does a good job. A cabinet is great if the stuff will fit inside.

Remember, older motors are rated different so it may be as much as a 1 horse already.

Check out OWWM, they have tons of info on old machines and refurbishing the same.

Nice score

Joe

Darren Brown
05-11-2008, 1:10 PM
Steve,
My saw came with the belt guard. I fabricated the dust chute with 4" port out of ply and painted it to match. The color is Rustoeum Industrial Light Machine Grey, many, many, many cans of it. If I never see another spray can of paint, it will be too soon. I also have a method to get a really good finish on showy parts such as the covers, but it involves some risk so I won't post it for general consumption. My saw has the original 1/3 horse motor, but thats from the 50's so it's an honest 1/3 horse not " 1/3 peak Hp". It's been adequate so far, although in the interest of full disclosure I did just sell the saw to a guy from Vermont. I needed something bigger with more power. If you don't have one already, get yourself a cheap bearing puller set from Harbor Fright. It will save you a lot of frustration when changing the bearings. (If you lived closer to me I could hook you up with a guy who'd sell you his real cheap..wink..wink):). I found the sandblaster locally in the yellow pages. If I can be of further assistance, let me know.
Darren
Oh yeah, the push button switch I paid way to much for on eBay. "Oh crap, did I just bid $200.00 when I meant $20.00?":(

Steve Kolbe
10-03-2008, 3:56 PM
Ok - bringing this back up again now that it's time to start getting busy with getting this bandsaw up and running again...

Can I get new tires that'll fit this thing from Woodcraft? I pass one of their stores on my way home...

Also - any ideas on what size blade I need to be looking for? I like this thing to do some (obviously) smaller resaw work for me.

Andy Casiello
10-03-2008, 4:48 PM
Ok - bringing this back up again now that it's time to start getting busy with getting this bandsaw up and running again...

Can I get new tires that'll fit this thing from Woodcraft? I pass one of their stores on my way home...

Also - any ideas on what size blade I need to be looking for? I like this thing to do some (obviously) smaller resaw work for me.

You can pick up a Timber Wolf blade at Woodcraft - it should use a 93.5" blade. For resawing I'd get a 3 or 4 tooth per inch, blade - 1/2" width. Some go with 3/4" width blades for resawing, but the 1/2" works well and can still turn a corner when needed. I just picked one up last weekend for my 14" delta and it cuts through 6" stock very nicely.

David Werkheiser
10-03-2008, 9:20 PM
Congratulation on your "new" saw. Milwaukee I believe was one of many companies that Delta bought up in the late 40's. I have one of the same vintage except it has a 2 speed gearbox for cutting metal (I've never it for metal yet). These saws have not changed much over the years, so I think a current riser block will work. I replaced the top bearing, belt, motor and rubber on wheels. I also replaced the guides with "cool blocks" and shimmed the upper wheel out to align with lower. the saw should last a "couple more lifetimes"
David Werkheiser

Steve Kolbe
10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
What motor did you purchase? And why did you have to shim the upper wheel? Are they built to be offset?