PDA

View Full Version : Very possilble steal of a gloat

Rafael Carias
05-10-2008, 1:08 AM
I picked up a shoe box planer some months ago for my projects hoping that it would be fairly adequate to handle the light load of work that I though I throw it, realistically it can't hang with the work load and I really need some thing a long the lines of a commercial model but I just cant afford to buy a quality new machine (like a Hammer a3 31) and I really don't feel like spending $900 on an import model that I know I would replace no too long after buying it. The alternative is getting me some old iron in the form of a compact 12" planer for a fair price, so I have been spending a good amount of effort looking for one in my local area. today all the effort I put into looking for a heavy planer paid off. I fella 5 miles was advertising a powermatic 100 planer with a custom built mobile base for only $600, I jumped at the chance and went down to take a look at it. Turns out its a 1950's model that came from a school in 1991, from the looks of it the planer didn't get much use or abuse.

I didn't have the money on hand so I didn't grab the machine on the spot so I offered to put down half as a deposit (bank was closed already) and pay the rest when I get around to pick it up, the guy said don't worry and just come back on monday and that there was no need for a deposit, he would just hold on to the machine since I was the only person to go out there in the months to take a look.

Looks like my shoe box planer will have to retire soon.

Joe Jensen
05-10-2008, 1:49 AM
Congratulations. I've been watching that planer for months on the auction site for months with a starting price of $799. I bought my PM100 planer new in 1990 for $2700. I now have a Byrd head in mine and it's amazing. If you don't have a dial indicator setup, borrow one, and if you can't find a manual online, let me know and I'll send you a copy of mine.

Great deal on a great planer.

PS, if you need a replacemet cutterhead I have my original one for sale :cool:

Jim Becker
05-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a nice buy, Rafael! 'Looking forward to the pictures of it in your shop this coming week!

Rob Russell
05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
I remember a chance to buy a PM100 for a couple hundred bucks 7-8 years ago. I passed it over because I was getting a wider combo jointer/planer, but I definitely remember thinking that it was a heck of a workhorse machine.

That 12" planer will be running for many years, even under daily use.

Rafael Carias
05-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Time for an update. Do to schedule conflicts (been working 14 hours a day 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks) I haven't had time to go out and pick up the powermatic 100 until last weekend, unfortunately the seller got seller's remorse and decided to keep the planer. I was very disappointed and felt like kicking my self for not jumping on the deal sooner.

I was a bit bummed out but I figured I could find something If I looked hard enough. yesterday I hit the net to try my luck and got lucky, I found an insurance asset liquidator with a powermatic 15s planer he needed to sell pronto, so to cut the story short I ended up with a brand spanking new powermatic s15 planer delivered to my front door for half the price (delivery was free).

Its not quite the old iron I was hoping for but I hear this little beast is one heck of work horse so I'm glad I could get it.

David Peters
05-21-2008, 9:48 AM
I found an insurance asset liquidator with a powermatic 15s planer he needed to sell pronto, so to cut the story short I ended up with a brand spanking new powermatic s15 planer delivered to my front door for half the price (delivery was free).

I have that planer and absolutely love it. It is, indeed, a workhorse. Congratulations!

Rafael Carias
05-21-2008, 7:14 PM
Thanks David.

I'll try to set up a circuit to fire this baby up today, hopefully there will be no problems.