PDA

View Full Version : Screw Center

Tom Bucanan
05-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a Oneway Stronghold chuck and the screw center, but I don't typically use it, but I would love to start. It is such a pain to screw my 6" faceplate onto all of my blanks (time consuming) So....

Do you guys use your screw centers freqently instead of a faceplate? Don't you find that the screw spins out on larger blanks during roughing out? How large of blanks do you use the screw center for (I don't currently have the capability to bandsaw my blanks round, so I only make it as round as I can with the bandsaw)?

Any insights and advice would be helpful

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I had trouble with my screw centers not holding properly especially on large blanks. Even if I drilled the hole undersized to where I could barely get it started. I just threw them in a corner have not used them for two years. I have used faceplates every since. Besides I feel safer with a faceplate. That is just me and what I feel comfortable with.

Jim Becker
05-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Yes, I use the screw for my OneWay chuck from time to time, but only when I'm working a blank that is suitable for that method. Most often, I'll put a rough blank between centers and play with the orientation until I get it right and the rough the outside and tenon before reversing into the chuck. The screw is largely a convenience such that you can rough a piece without removing the chuck from the spindle.

Bernie, you need to use your tailstock with the screw chuck and it's primarily for roughing the exterior and getting a workable tenon on the piece. You will not have them coming loose when supported by your live center on the other side!

Tom Bucanan
05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
In the Woodworking Channel's video collection they have a great clip by David Lancaster that discusses production bowl techniques. He says that he always uses a screw center to turn his blanks, thus speeding up his process (time is money for him). I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong because it works so well for him. Maybe he finds the screw center so effective because he bandsaws his blanks round. He definitely is turning big pieces of wood and he seems to have no trouble.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a Talon chuck and use the screw center for almost everything. Have always had good luck with it and like Jim sayes - make sure you use the tailstock.

Pete Jordan
05-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't use faceplates anymore. I bought the longer "2 screw center and turn between centers. On large pieces I keep the tailstock up till the very end when finishing the tenon.

Matt Hutchinson
05-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I have used the 'wood worm' screw that came with my chuck. It never spun until after I damage the jaws with a drive center insert. It worked great, and with the 5.5" dovetail jaws holding the screw, I could turn any blank, usually without a tailstock.

Here's something to ponder. I have a 3" screw center "faceplate" that I use without the tailstock It can be used for very large and heavy blanks if the surfaces mate well. For instance, today I roughed out a bowl from hard maple. The dimensions were 18" diameter X 5". There wasn't a wobble! THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH A SMOOTH WOOD TO PLATE SURFACE!!! You may think that 3" isn't a large enough surface, but this isn't true. I can take very heavy cuts and it's runs true and solidly. Sure, if the blank is too unbalanced then you would need something else, or if the wood is particularly soft than I wouldn't trust the screw. I am in the process of buying a 6" faceplate for the HUGE and softer blanks that are really deep, but this gives you an idea of just what a screw chuck can do.

There will probably be many members here who think this is totally unsafe. The safety of this depends on many factors. For me, I have added safety from the mass of my lathe and its drive shaft (2" solid steel shaft). Also, I always proceed with caution, starting the speed low. But another thing to keep in mind is this: it's difficult for a lathe to throw a heavy piece unless the speed is unsafely high. Usually heavy blanks will just clunk against the chuck, ways, and toolrest and stop rather quickly.

Again, I would like to emphasize to proceed with caution for every blank chucked. These processes have gradually gained my trust through careful and stepped procedures. Your lathe and setup may have different limitations. The main ideas of this posting are simply this: 1) A screw chuck is a very effective and reliable mounting system. 2) Always procede with caution and safety.

Hutch

Paul Engle
05-10-2008, 8:12 AM
I use my screw chuck all the time for roughing blanks but some things said to consider , geting the blank as round as I can , using the ts to back it up and slowing it down.I have roughed 12" wet birch , as well as wayout of round walnut but if your lathe wont get under 400 to 500 rpm this out of balance condition could very well make it unsuitable.

Bill Blasic
05-10-2008, 8:58 AM
I use the woodworm screw with the chuck for 90% of the work I do. I almost always use the tailstock which keeps the piece steady.

Art kraft
05-10-2008, 9:48 AM
Safety should always be a number one concern. The time spent mounting the wood securely is well spent. The tighter the wood to the lathe the greater the amount of vibration from the chisel will be reduced (transfered to machine). This will allow you to make heavier cuts and get better quality. In turning or any woodwork, weight is always a +. When making roughing cuts use the heaviest chisel you can get.