PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Andrew Derhammer
05-09-2008, 8:13 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Andrew Derhammer. I'm 15 from Allentown, PA I started turning this past summer doing penturning. About a month ago i go bowl turning lessons as a my 2/4/08 birthday present at woodcraft. Bill Grumbine was my instructor. So i've made a switch in gears and have been recently starting to turn bowls on my rikon mini. I'm currently working on completing one of those mdf rose engine lathes. As soon as i get a summer job i am going to be putting away money for a vega benchtop bowl lathe. So once again i'd like to say hello and i hope i learn alot from the members here.

Jim Becker
05-09-2008, 8:42 PM
Welcome, Andrew!

Coincidently, Bill Grumbine was the first person that showed me how to turn...back in about, oh...1997, give or take...at the Woodcraft that was then in Bensalem PA. I still have the pen we turned in the class. So, IMHO, you got a great start!

Dennis Puskar
05-09-2008, 9:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Andrew I know you will learn a lot from the guys and gals here.

Dennis

George Guadiane
05-09-2008, 9:09 PM
Welcome, Andrew!

Coincidently, Bill Grumbine was the first person that showed me how to turn...back in about, oh...1997, give or take...at the Woodcraft that was then in Bensalem PA. I still have the pen we turned in the class. So, IMHO, you got a great start!
Bill has a great reputation as a teacher (not many better)... You are off to a great start!
Welcome to the vortex!

Paul Gallian
05-09-2008, 9:37 PM
Welcome!

Andrew -- Hope this becomes a very satisfying activity for you.
Really good to see youth becoming woodworkers.

Rev. Paul Gallian

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Welcome Andrew. Hope to see some turnings soon.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek Andrew! Wow - nothing like starting at the top!! Bill is one of the best teachers out there - but most of us only get to see him in his video! Looking forward to seeing some of your work and remember - we like lots of pictures!!

Paul Engle
05-10-2008, 8:14 AM
Welcome Andrew , yep you mostly llikely could not of had a better teacher than Bill in all respects.

Bruce Pennell
05-10-2008, 8:21 AM
Welcome Andrew, Bill was hands down the best teacher I've seen so far. I loved his 2 DVD's. What a great start you've had, enjoy. Bruce:D

Glenn Hodges
05-10-2008, 5:00 PM
Welcome Andrew, I had been turning bowls for about a year, but had never seen anyone turn one. Bill Grumbine was the first person I ever saw turn a bowl. You picked a very good teacher.