PDA

View Full Version : Is The Jooltool For Real?

FRITZ STOOP
05-09-2008, 7:08 PM
I just came across this gizmo called the JoolTool.
Touted as the miracle sharpening device of the new millennium by a top-heavy but well spoken Jersy girl, it looks weird but might just work.
I spend mucho (too many) minutes sharpening.
Is it real.........or is it John Cameron Swayze?????:confused:

Peter Quinn
05-09-2008, 7:15 PM
Looks like a modified Cuisenart...it slices, it dices, it sharpens your chisels and planes but can still cut tomatoes! Don't know anything about it, seems like a grinder and some stones might be cheaper?

Tom Veatch
05-09-2008, 7:28 PM
...Is it real.........or is it John Cameron Swayze?????:confused:

Don't know, but this guy (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/product-reviews/jool-tool.php)seems to really like it. But $350 + tax/shipping will buy an awful lot of sandpaper - 'course, I don't do turning or carving so my sharpening is virtually all flat work - chisels, plane irons, etc.

David DeCristoforo
05-09-2008, 7:35 PM
Looks like a modified Cuisenart...it slices, it dices, it sharpens your chisels and planes but can still cut tomatoes! Don't know anything about it, seems like a grinder and some stones might be cheaper?

I especially like the "Ninja Disk". Oooooo....

Richard M. Wolfe
05-09-2008, 7:49 PM
"a top-heavy but well spoken Jersy girl,"

And you didn't give a link......thanks a lot! :D :D

I have seen one of these at the woodworking show in Dallas. Seems to work. But with the woodworking shows I tend to take a lot of the demonstations with a grain of salt. The people demo'ing have practiced with the tools who knows how long and they are doing the demo under very good conditions with optimum materials. Won't say that's the case for this....mainly making a generalized statement.

I googled this and came up with a SMC thread (among other things) and from what I read people seemed to like it.

Craig McCormick
05-09-2008, 8:18 PM
charlieb over at rec.crafts.woodworking has one and wrote a review. He really liked it as I remember. I think he liked the girl too. You might Google charlieb and Jooltool?

Good luck,

Craig McCormick

Alan Schaffter
05-09-2008, 9:08 PM
It is a lot more expensive and less capable than the Worksharp 3000 which also has the slotted sharpening disc.

Mike Henderson
05-09-2008, 9:31 PM
I don't remember if that was the tool, but I was at a woodworking show and there was this good looking gal demonstrating a sharpening system that was something like Jooltool. She got a lot of lookers, but I wonder if they were looking at the tool or at her. Didn't see any sales.

Mike

FRITZ STOOP
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=Richard M. Wolfe;848659]"a top-heavy but well spoken Jersy girl,"

And you didn't give a link......thanks a lot! :D :D

Watch the video and enjoy:

http://www.woodworkersresource.com/video-blog/post/:eek:

Rick Gifford
05-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Accessories are expensive and only theirs will work on it.

Local Woodcraft sold them discounted to get rid of them. No one would buy the accesories etc. Just too much cost in the whole operation.

Vijay Kumar
05-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't remember if that was the tool, but I was at a woodworking show and there was this good looking gal demonstrating a sharpening system that was something like Jooltool. She got a lot of lookers, but I wonder if they were looking at the tool or at her. Didn't see any sales.

Mike

She is the inventor of the tool. And if you can get past her good looks you could see that she knows quite a bit about sharpening/polishing. This tool was designed by her for the jewelry market (jool tool). Also this design of a slotted disk predates the Worksharp by at least 2 years.

The only problem with the tool as far as I can tell is that it looks like a toy rather than a tool.

Vijay

Pat Germain
05-10-2008, 12:20 AM
The only problem with the tool as far as I can tell is that it looks like a toy rather than a tool.

Vijay

I agree, Vijay. Those steep curves work very well on Anie, but not so much on the JoolTool.