PDA

View Full Version : What speed do I use to turn pens?

Cliff Newton
04-05-2004, 9:46 PM
Is it best to use a slow speed or fast speed?

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2004, 9:49 PM
My Jet 1236 lathe has 7 speeds....I make every single pen with it set on SIX...!!! Spin them pens....the blanks are small and the speed is needed to help make the cuts and allow for smoother cuts. I sand and finish on that speed as well.

Cliff Newton
04-05-2004, 9:54 PM
My Jet 1236 lathe has 7 speeds....I make every single pen with it set on SIX...!!! Spin them pens....the blanks are small and the speed is needed to help make the cuts and allow for smoother cuts. I sand and finish on that speed as well.

I kinda figured it should be fast, but wanted to make sure. Spinning wood is new to me and I can just see something flying off the lathe and into my gut.

Bob Hayles
04-06-2004, 9:21 AM
Fast, faster, fastest...for turning, sanding and finishing.

BubbaBob

Jerry Stringer
04-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I kinda figured it should be fast, but wanted to make sure. Spinning wood is new to me and I can just see something flying off the lathe and into my gut.

Hi Cliff

I turn on a Shopsmith and when I'm doing pens I crank it up so that it's really singin'.

I read somewhere on another forum that although it really looks fast, the actual speed of the surface of the wood in miles per hour is pretty slow. I guess it's cause the diameter is so small. They said that something flying off a fast spinning pen is safer than something flying off a slower turning big piece.

I dunno . . . It all makes sawdust!

Jerry