PDA

View Full Version : New Omnijig

Steven Bolton
05-09-2008, 2:19 PM
Greetings:

Any more news from those of you who have taken the plunge and bought the new Omnijig?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Steven Bolton
05-09-2008, 9:54 PM
Wow, must be real good news or real bad news.

Steve Bolton

Wayne Watling
05-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow, must be real good news or real bad news.

Steve Bolton

Hi Steve,

As you know I'm having issues with the one I have at the moment and am awaiting a replacement from a different batch. I'll definately post back once the new jig arrives and I've had time to do some D/T's.

Best,
Wayne

Steven Bolton
05-12-2008, 1:41 PM
Thanks. I am quite curious about this jig.

Steve Bolton

Max Acbuilder
05-26-2008, 7:57 PM
I took the plunge. Saw one at Woodcraft and was fascinated. Ordered last week from Amazon and had it by May 23. I have the Akeda DC16 so I can compare the two.
First off the PC Omnijig is big even for a 16 inch dovetail jig. I mounted the unit on the front edge of my Bench Dog router table. The set up manual and instructions are very good. The video is pathetic. Unless you like Norm and believe in his video editing magic you can skip this piece of advertising.
Now what they don't tell you when you order the 16 inch - you only get the half blind jig. That's it. You get one bit a square driver and some router bushings. I ordered the dust shroud as I hate getting sawdust all over. It is an odd design but works to contain 70%.
OK, so it only has a half blind template with fixed pin position. However you can use an endless variety of wood thickness. Dial it in with the depth gage and lock in the boards and template and away you go. Since it is a fixed jig you need to calculate board width and edge stop so you have proper edge pin width. The joints are the tightest I have ever produce and perfectly square. I never could get the Akeda to do that.
Bottom line compared to the Akeda the new PC omnijig is very fast to set up and consistent in output. Maybe a little complex but it works!
Right now the big negative is the lack of templates and the cost of them. The mini through template lists for over $200! If I did it again I would go for the 24 inch monster. $190 more. But, it comes with everything (several templates)except the dust shroud.
Finish of the unit is an 8 and the fit of the parts is typical of PC that is some is a 10 and some is a 7. I had to file one edge stop as it had a glob of paint on it that prevented square edge. So the QA department is not checking critical items. Don't get me going on the Chinese crap.

It works, looks like a nuclear power plant and I don't need to read the manual every time I use it. Can't wait for some good discounts on the extra goodies.

Mike Heidrick
05-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Amazon will let you return it and upgrade. I would. Just FYI.

"Gary Smith"
05-27-2008, 8:26 PM
ttt..........lets hear about this jig

Best deals and etc.

Ray Scheller
05-28-2008, 4:09 PM
I may be wrong but I think Steve was asking about the new 24" Omnijig that PC just came out with.

Joe Spear
05-28-2008, 4:28 PM
The 16"" is also a new one, but it does have the issues Max wrote about.