PDA

View Full Version : Another noobie checking in

Carl Heidesch
05-09-2008, 2:14 PM
Greetings! I've been at this for a couple of years, so I'm not technically a noobie, but consider myself enough of a learning amateur to benefit from the collective experience and wisdom here, so I thought I'd chime in.....

Here are a few pix of a blanket chest I made for a charity benefit auction a few months ago, made of clear pine, hand-cut dovetails (my second attempt at these), a hidden compartment, and a few coats of patriot blue milk paint.... While not attempting to duplicate a priceless historically-accurate antique, I thought it turned out okay.
The winning bid at the auction was $175. In my own humble opinion, someone got a bargain... A more decorated one I donated a few years ago brought $500. But that's the way it is !:rolleyes:

Thanks for the opportunity to post some of my handiwork !
Carl

Pat Germain
05-09-2008, 2:32 PM
Welcome aboard, Carl.

I like your blanket chest. I agree it should have fetched more at the charity auction.

Jim Becker
05-09-2008, 3:10 PM
Welcome, Carl. And I also agree that someone got a bargain...

gary Zimmel
05-09-2008, 3:29 PM
Welcome to the Creek Carl.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-09-2008, 4:09 PM
Welcome to SMC from north central Texas, Carl. Nice work and a shame it didn't bring more. Don't see many painted pieces here.

Carl Heidesch
05-09-2008, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments! It was a fun project to build, much more rewarding than just throwing money at a cause. I received quite a few compliments at the auction as well, which is always well received. Projects like these help as an excuse to spend more time in the shop, and the benefits of charity are doubly rewarding !
C

J. Z. Guest
05-11-2008, 1:49 AM
Very nice Carl. I'll add another vote that someone got a bargain.

I speculate that it would have brought more if it weren't painted and the dovetails were visible. (unless they're really dodgy, hehehe)

John Thompson
05-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Very nice Carl.. If I may make a suggestion.. look low in the first picture under the base beyond the feet. I would also finish that area as it can be seen from angles. Yes.. unfortunately there are those that get anal in their observation and probably all were trained personally by my first wife. :)

Not a biggie by any means and you may have intentionally left it natural? Just consideration for future projects.

Again.. well done and keep up the great work.

Sarge.

Carl Heidesch
05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Good point, John, I saw that too....These photos were shot just minutes before delivery so no time for touch-ups like that.... Also, I wanted to see how the finish would look with a coat of BLO, Mike Dunbar of FWW does that on his milk-painted projects, but I didn't have time for that either....

Yes Jeremy, I contemplated a clear finish too ('d like to think my dovetails would pass inspection here!) Some people think the "shinier the better" while others like the more natural hand-rubbed aged look, it's tough to know your customers in a auction crowd. One of my original thoughts was to decorate it with initials and a date, painted 'panels', rope handles ...more of a dowry chest look like my first one. It was another detail I didn't have time for. (At least the owners have a clean slate to begin with!)

BTW, here's a pic of my first chest I mentioned......
C

alex grams
05-13-2008, 4:29 PM
very nice on both counts, but especially on the second chest. It is a nice setup with well painted panels.

Not to deny your first piece, but the later one is much more eye catching and memorable, with a good aged finish that helps add some depth to the piece.